• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's afraid of the [S]Xi[/S] [S]Nu[/S] Omicron variant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    Isn't it more that over time the human immune system naturally develops immunity to whatever doesn't kill it?

Things like Smallpox are not reaklly structured the same as flu type viruses, they attack a different part of the body so it's debateable whether we would ever have become immune to such diseases. But the difference is that the Covid type bugs are Virus, and I don't think it's quite the same as a disease although I'm willing to be proved wrong.
    A virus is a virus, be it Covid or Smallpox. They all work the same way, by disrupting the messenger RNA in the target cell to create more viruses rather than what they should be making. The immune system creates antibodies to attack any non-native particle, be it a virus, a bacterium or a new kidney. The vaccines are either killing or disrupting the virus in the body (rarely), getting the body to produce appropriate antibodies (e.g. smallpox, which is a killed virus) or something specific such as disrupting the virus's mRNA processes (as per Covid).

The other approach is the Black Death model, where you don't treat it meaning people with a degree of immunity to it survive to breed, and pass on the immunity, while those without died out. That, for some reason, is not a widely approved technique...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Being concerned # being worried #being a frightened sheep.

I'm surprised anyone voted yes tbh.

The Swiss vote shows that the majority are not frightened of needles, nor of the vaccine. Unless the sheeple minority who believe any old crap as long as it isn't from MSM
      I guess I'm kind of lucky in that I consciously "died" the last time I was in hospital, I knew I was dying, passing on and just accepted it, it wasn't scary at all.
      But something decided it wasn't my time yet. Whether it was the sound of my daughters voice is debateable, I recall thinking to myself "why are they saying goodbye to me, I'm not going anywhere until I'm met my grandchild" and then it stopped getting dark so who really knows?

Wasn't scary, or painfull, no one was "coming to meet me" it just went dark...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Being concerned # being worried #being a frightened sheep.

I'm surprised anyone voted yes tbh.
        If were medically vulnerable I would be frightened. I will be frightened for friends or family who are vulnerable if vaccine evasion is confirmed. I know people for who Covid is a very high risk disease, and a close friend works at a school for children who are likewise at extremely high risk - they have had over a dozen Covid-related deaths already.

When Jesus calls us sheep, why are you using the term as an insult BTW?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          Why did they have to make up some fancy name when "Variant Echo" would have done?
          Google the greek alphabet

Comment

It's not about being frightened, it's about recognising that there is a large number of vulnerable people (and a smaller number of those not vulnerable) who, if they caught any variant (never-mind this new one with potentially increased transmissibility), could get seriously ill, put additional pressure on our health services leading to issues elsewhere, or even die.

I get there is a not-insignificant minority who are either too selfish to care about this, or too ignorant to understand it, but its up to the rest of use to take mitigating actions to stop the spread of the disease.

I'd say we need to respect it, not fear it.

Comment

The timeline for covid infection, illness, hospitalisation, and entering ICU have been forgotten by some here.

It takes a couple of weeks or more for people to enter hospital. At this stage, it is not possible to determine if the disease causes a milder illness. South Africa have just identified it. They don't know in their patients if they need hospitalisation until next week or the week or two after that.

Covid always causes mild illness initially in those who then need to to hospital, so we just don't know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                All pandemics mutate into less dangerous variants because it's not advantageous to kill your host. Our problem is the state, which is reluctant to give up its emergency powers.
                I'm glad that others have called you out on your paranoid old man ramblings. You want it to be true, so you then give credibility to the idea that "all pandemics mutate into less dangerous variants". In time (decades) it might be the case that covid becomes less dangerous. It is also possible that it becomes more dangerous.

You have made the mistake of looking at a time, such as 1918, when people died and people vulnerable to that particular influenza were killed off, the virus mutated continually with each infection and gradually disappeared. It is possible that influenza can return and kill in far higher numbers than we have seen before, but we also no longer live in a low technology developing country environment.

Have some humility and leave the pandemic science to the experts. You are, very clearly, no expert at all and sound like an alt right paranoid nut.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It's not being used to put down, but rather being used in a descriptive manner. Anyway, context is everything. Jesus calls his follower sheep in the context of him being the shepherd. Maybe you'd like to be referred to as a little child instead?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                    Have some humility and leave the pandemic science to the experts. You are, very clearly, no expert at all and sound like an alt right paranoid nut.
                    How can you say that. He's clearly watched that video on YouTube posted by charrlleeez5443.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Being concerned # being worried #being a frightened sheep
                      Fear of god, he likes you all to be sheep to keep you under control
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X