• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apparently we are all middle class!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Surprised to find I only have 2 or 3, since I identify as slap bang in the middle of middle class but it does seem a pretty daft list. I mean, falconry glove? Horse saddles? That's aristocracy!
    Yep, I was firing from the hip in mistakenly assuming the list was supposed to be upper class items, but it still sounds like the author thinks they are aspirational things that indicate the height of sophistication. I mean eight types of flour FFS. But maybe I should bother to go and read the original article!

Then again, there are a handful of things on that list I would quite like...
    Me too

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Beer should not be served on ice unless you're trying to mask the lack of flavour
      I nearly said the ice is used to hide the hideous flavour, but you're right (for once ) the ice has more flavour.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Not really. Temperature changes the flavour profile in very complicated ways. While flavour is generally suppressed at cold temperatures, different things have their preferred characteristics at different temperature. All those different volatile chemicals.
        While good white wine is nice warm, it's still better chilled.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I nearly said the ice is used to hide the hideous flavour, but you're right (for once ) the ice has more flavour.
          Well as you are serving beer ON ICE you are just chilling the beer in a bucket of ice, note the beer in this case would probably be Lager not normally Ale, IPA has special rules as do many American concoctions. There is an enhancement of flavour as the Lager defrosts in your mouth releasing subtle flavours lost in warm lager.

Stronger Ales can be warmer so their more powerful flavours are readily accessible.

Now Cider with ice in it is a revelation, Magners for instance should never be served warm, its rank. Add some crushed ice to a cold one and its fantastic.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...-temperatures/

Last edited by vetran; 12 November 2021, 15:54.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not sold on the whole ice-in-the-glass thing. Just chill it first. Although the clinking noise is rather pleasant I'll admit.

Comment

Not sold on the whole ice-in-the-glass thing. Just chill it first. Although the clinking noise is rather pleasant I'll admit.
              Our French friends always serve their aperitifs and Rose wines with ice. Its very pleasant when you start with them at 1pm...

Many spirits pair well with ice.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Our French friends always serve their aperitifs and Rose wines with ice. Its very pleasant when you start with them at 1pm...
                Had that before, one great example was at L'Orangerie in Strasbourg, the local Pinot Noir was served cool before your starter, but the bottle was then left on the table.
                By the time the main course arrived, it had warmed up. When the chocolate dessert was served, the wine was at room temp and a perfect accompaniment for the course.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

As for Mod fights, we have them all the time. Wait till Cojak joins in - she's just finishing her morning crate of Buckfast...
                  Better still! Break out the paddling pool and gravy!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Many spirits pair well with ice.
                    Indeed. But this has been done for decades if not longer. Whereas cider has not traditionally been drunk that way. Marketing genius - Magners was suddenly THE cool drink before all these fruity ciders barged in, seemingly overnight cider became a huge deal - but ultimately just a marketing thing.

When you buy spirits you pay for the measure. When you buy a pint of Magners with ice, surely you get less cider?

Comment

When you buy a pint of Magners with ice, surely you get less cider?
                      If it's served in a cider glass, yes. If it's served in a beer glass (with the mark below the rim), then you should still get a full measure.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X