• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does retirement look like for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does retirement look like for you?

Thought may have an uplifting thread, what do your hopes or realities of retirement look like?
    I turned 50 recently, and haven't really got a clue as to when to retire or what to do in retirement. Been stuck behind a screen for most of my life, then raising family. Kids are still at school for at least another 5yrs.

you never know when health can deteriorate suddenly and I just thought, I should really start to enjoy life a bit more.

Would be interesting to see what other thoughts on retirement are.

Am dreading it. Need to have something on the go to keep me occupied but struggle with motivation if there is no real need to do it so not looking forward to retiring at all.

That said that is because I haven't put any thought and effort in to what I want to do. I'm sure if I did and came up with something that I really enjoyed, filled my time and was kept motivated I'd be itching to retire.

Still enjoy getting a new gig, seeing it through, closing that chapter and starting again too much.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sadly many people's health fails when they stop work so I intend to stay active.

I have a really nice workshop to play in, I can get to London on the train so plenty of visits to town, even occasionally contract, I want to get back to volunteering more, in a few years our youngest will be off so a bit of travel.

Oh and hopefully grandchildren in about 5-10 years.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes, an important part is having something to do. A chap the other day who is near 60, was telling me many of his friends who retired, didn't have much going on, dementia can kick in and some passed away quite quickly after retiring.

My thoughts would be I would be holidaying to far off sunny places, perhaps take up some gentle sport like golf - though think I would get bored pretty quick.

I don't know if I've got the motivation to carry on with IT, just getting sick of being behind a screen most of the day.
        The other day after dropping the kids off school, wasn't ready to start, passed a coffee shop, grabbed a coffee and roll and went and sat by the river for a couple of hours. It was beautiful, just enjoyed being outside, somewhere different.

Think I might need a break from IT.

Comment

Haven't got a scooby.

Depends on how healthy both me and my bank balance are.

Comment

Originally posted by gazelle View Post
            Thought may have an uplifting thread, what do your hopes or realities of retirement look like?
            I turned 50 recently, and haven't really got a clue as to when to retire or what to do in retirement. Been stuck behind a screen for most of my life, then raising family. Kids are still at school for at least another 5yrs.

you never know when health can deteriorate suddenly and I just thought, I should really start to enjoy life a bit more.

Would be interesting to see what other thoughts on retirement are.
            60 is the new 55.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

From the other side of the boundary....

I'm not sure how I found time to work. I keep equally busy but doing what I want to do and not worrying about earning. The trick is being brave enough to get out and do it. Current things embrace a motorhome, am dram, choir model making, gardening, making props for the local panto (false leg with working toes anyone?) on top of the usual social stuff and walking the dog...

Having the time and freedom to go and do should not be undervalued
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This question has come up a few times in the past, and it's even more difficult for me to answer since I lost my wife. I'm 51 and financially I could retire today, if I lived at my current financial spend, and my cash would run out when I'm about 150 years old! And that assumes I don't downsize from my current 5 bed house to a smaller place at some stage and release even more cash.

I have no kids to leave money to, so plan to spend as much as a I can before I die.

But how do you retire at 51 when single? I have some hobbies, but I've just gone back to 5 days working from 2 just to get some social interaction during the day. Mrs W and my plan was to retire at 55 and go travelling, so i guess that's still an option but not sure I fancy it on my own.

So for me, I'll be looking to find a new companion that I can enjoy some life with, and see how that pans out.

What I can say though is money really doesn't make you happy. Yes it gives you options, but all the money in the bank doesn't bring back a lost loved one or restore the hopes and dreams that you had.

I've started counselling that is interesting and opening up my eyes to maybe volunteering at some stage. I've started an introductory counselling course too, and depending how that goes make take it further. There are a lot of people out there who need help, but a shortage of people to help them (unless they can afford to self fund), so maybe that's a 'retirement' option? Not sure.

I guess my take is, don't just focus on the money. It's experiences and who yo get to enjoy life with that is more important. You can always earn more money, but you can't get back more time with those you love once they have gone.

Random drivel over .... and today I'm on a good day mentally!
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Had a chat with a pensions chappie last week.

Fed up with current gig, but not feeling motivated to find something new.

Am seriously contemplating telling client that I won't be renewing when my contract's up at the end of the year - can't access pension for another year or so, but have accessible savings.

Not sure I want to stop work completely, but no longer feeling the love for the day job, so mebbe part time low paid stuff to avoid burning the savings too quick.

Dunno...

Comment

I had my annual appraisal yesterday (at a very good restaurant with fine wines...) and we discussed retirement. Neither me nor my boss plan to retire as we enjoy our work, since our work is our hobby - but maybe scale back to 60%. I've got grandkids, and hopefully will get more from my other kids at some point. I've plenty of social groups, secular and church, that I'm involved with and that will continue. Ultimately, we plan on moving into a multigenerational house with our son and his wife somewhere in the countryside but with good transport links. Pension wise, we're probably ok. Not super rich, but enough to be comfortable until the end of our days.

The main challenge, to be frank, is to not end up getting bored and then drinking.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X