• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Autumn Budget Thread 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    "And Mr Speaker, we now come to Ltd company directors and we've given then a right kicking in the past 10 years. And I'm delighted to announce that this year will be no different."

Plus ça change.

qh
    Yes we're really struggling having to pay a lot of tax on 6-figure income while everyone else is trying to figure out what not to spend that £20 on, and how to pay their energy bills in a cold winter. Please set up a crowdfunder for us.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

inneresting...
      The BBC have a nice bitesize module where you can learn about the UK Parliament. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...xfr/revision/1

It starts with -
      "The United Kingdom (UK) is a democracy. In the UK there are too many people to all discuss all the decisions about how the country is run. Therefore representatives are elected to make decisions."
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        [RANT]

Unlikely to have any surprises as it seems the government publish most of their announcements ahead of time.

Lord Archer on R4's BH last Sunday was most vexed that this happens - in his day, ministers had to stand down if details of the budget were leaked before the speech was given in parliament.

I am inclined to agree that such statements should be made to parliament first and not issued in dribs and drabs to the media over the preceding weeks.

[/RANT]
        I think this government is so terrified of, and driven by, public opinion that it gives them a chance to test the waters before committing to anything. If any proposal causes an outsized backlash, they can swiftly excise it from the speech and claim it was never going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I think this government is so terrified of, and driven by, public opinion that it gives them a chance to test the waters before committing to anything. If any proposal causes an outsized backlash, they can swiftly excise it from the speech and claim it was never going to happen.
          To be fair Major and co started it. It actually makes sense because they can see what is too courageous to actually implement.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's not like the opposition aren't doing it too.

Comment

It's not like the opposition aren't doing it too.
              Um, the opposition aren't ministers who present policies. The opposition don't present a budget that is voted on in parliament. They can go to the press with alternatives to what the government announces, but they don't run the country.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

but they don't run the country.
                You sure Bojos berks do?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I saw the Speaker is pretty peeved about it too.

Comment

Pre-briefing the budget is as old as the hills, but "Brand Rishi" can't resist sticking his moronic logo and Shoreditch ad agency vibe on everything, so it's a more blatant disregard of the Ministerial Code, not like the leaking of old to your favourite Sun hack.

Comment

Yes we're really struggling having to pay a lot of tax on 6-figure income while everyone else is trying to figure out what not to spend that £20 on, and how to pay their energy bills in a cold winter. Please set up a crowdfunder for us.
                      *yawn*.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X