• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Autumn Budget Thread 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Autumn Budget Thread 2021

Official thread as approved by AtW (proxy vote).

Any surprises? I imagine contracting will not get a look in as Boris and Rishi spend £££££ and talk "building back"

[RANT]

Unlikely to have any surprises as it seems the government publish most of their announcements ahead of time.

Lord Archer on R4's BH last Sunday was most vexed that this happens - in his day, ministers had to stand down if details of the budget were leaked before the speech was given in parliament.

I am inclined to agree that such statements should be made to parliament first and not issued in dribs and drabs to the media over the preceding weeks.

[/RANT]

Comment

We will have our income reduced yet again by one means or an other I am sure.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        [RANT]

Unlikely to have any surprises as it seems the government publish most of their announcements ahead of time.

Lord Archer on R4's BH last Sunday was most vexed that this happens - in his day, ministers had to stand down if details of the budget were leaked before the speech was given in parliament.

I am inclined to agree that such statements should be made to parliament first and not issued in dribs and drabs to the media over the preceding weeks.

[/RANT]
        That's why I called my thread yesterday "Budget Leaks Part 3001" as there are no major announcements in the budget that haven't been leaked. Even where the money is coming from has been leaked.

The Speaker of the House is pissed off as it yet again shows this government's disregard for parliament - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-says-25297584 (other media outlets are available) He now just needs to start letting MPs ask the government urgent questions as he threatened.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The way it works is that the giveaways are pre-briefed and the takeaways are buried in the budget documents and skirted in the speech. It isn’t so much that nothing will be announced tomorrow, but nothing good.

Comment

[RANT]

[/RANT]
            mm Lord "Papa's got a brand new paper bag" Archer ? Well you have to admire his brass neck.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

[RANT]

...[/RANT]
              In what way is it bad? Knowing what to be listening out for is helpful in my view so you don't get it all cold. There's no reason for secrecy.
              "It's not how it was in my day" is not automatically a bad thing.

Anyway it'll be interesting how he tries to get the vast amounts of extra cash back from CV spending while simultaneously making it look like everyone is better off.
              Unless they have decided this really is a long game and to focus on recovery and kick the can of national debt another year or two given that the pandemic is clearly not over and risks causing further problems this winter.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

In what way is it bad? Knowing what to be listening out for is helpful in my view so you don't get it all cold. There's no reason for secrecy.
                "It's not how it was in my day" is not automatically a bad thing.

Anyway it'll be interesting how he tries to get the vast amounts of extra cash back from CV spending while simultaneously making it look like everyone is better off.
                Unless they have decided this really is a long game and to focus on recovery and kick the can of national debt another year or two given that the pandemic is clearly not over and risks causing further problems this winter.
                It's more the principle that the government (not just this one, but this one seems to be doing it more overtly) is bypassing normal parliamentary process by giving information to the media before it is announced to parliament.

By bypassing parliament, it becomes very difficult for the opposition (think of them what you will) to challenge the government because it's already been discussed and picked apart before any official announcement is made.

This government has time and time again shown its lack of respect and utter disdain for proper parliamentary process. They are eroding the role of the opposition and that leads us down a very slippery path.

Comment

The opposition get's surely more time to prepare their budget response - given immediately after the chancellor's budget speech - if they know what's in it with more warning?

If you're talking about things that have to be debated and voted on, rather than a formality like the budget, then yes I'd agree, it's bad form to announce "we are doing X" when you don't know you are yet
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    The opposition get's surely more time to prepare their budget response - given immediately after the chancellor's budget speech - if they know what's in it with more warning?

If you're talking about things that have to be debated and voted on, rather than a formality like the budget, then yes I'd agree, it's bad form to announce "we are doing X" when you don't know you are yet
                    The budget is debated over four days, so there's plenty of opportunity for the opposition to react (the shadow chancellor speaks on day 2). Whether they are given details in advance, I don't know, and I suspect not - which is why it's bad form to leak the details ahead of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X