• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh those racist Danes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Work to claim" was touted in the UK only a few years back. It didn't get far.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      "Work to claim" was touted in the UK only a few years back. It didn't get far.
      would solve a lot of issues.

If they don't work or need money how are they funding their life?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

would solve a lot of issues.

If they don't work or need money how are they funding their life?
        What issues would it solve?
        Who said anything about not needing money?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What issues would it solve?
          Who said anything about not needing money?
          Well the current belief is UK benefit claimants are lazy. If they are working for benefits then they won't be lazy will they?

If you have to attend to get benefits then creating phantom claimants won't work. Popping down to sign on on Thursday during your lunch break as my mates in the 80s did, travelling round the country doing cash in hand then popping in to pick up your benefits would stop.

If benefit claimants have to work to get benefits they can't fit in time for drug dependency or shoplifting etc.

If you don't need benefits enough to work and have no means of support how are you paying to live? Sort of shows those either claiming illegally or having an illegal income source.

Plenty more if you care to think about it.

would suggest after 3 months out of work you should be required to work or retrain to receive benefits.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well the current belief ...
            Among Wailers, it's a belief. i.e. ingrained and almost impossible to change with facts or science.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...cs-august-2021

23 million people claiming benefits. Of those, 12.5 million are claiming the state pension (and 4 million of those are claiming at least one other benefit)

Of course, if we send all the people on benefits - the disabled, the over 80s, etc, out to work that will drive down salaries which is the opposite of what you are advocating in other threads.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Lets assume you're being facetious. Restrict the 'Claiming benefits' to 'claiming JSA'. What do the figure look like now?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                Lets assume you're being facetious. Restrict the 'Claiming benefits' to 'claiming JSA'. What do the figure look like now?
                You mean out of the 67 million population, how many of the 264,000 on JSA are lazy?
                I don't know.
                Not so many as to have the massive impact on the UK economy the Wail would want you to believe.

I was discussing with a few people the other day who said the "unemployed should be sent to pick the fruit", I asked how they would get to Cornwall, etc, where the fruit pickers are needed, when there is little unemployment in that part of the country, but most of the unemployment is in the built-up areas.

Comment

I don't read any of the mainstream media, and have now also given up on R4. But back to the point.

So from your previous figures and those above you are saying that around 11M people are already 'working to claim benefits?

Comment

If you want to argue benefits claimants should be made to work (in some guise), I will broadly speaking agree (assuming you can work, giving you some grace period, etc).

But in that case they should be paid to work at NMW/NLW. That's give or take £250-300pw which is roughly what you might get in UC if you get housing benefit and had one child.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      I don't read any of the mainstream media, and have now also given up on R4. But back to the point.

So from your previous figures and those above you are saying that around 11M people are already 'working to claim benefits?
                      Not sure where you get that from, and they aren't my figures, they are the government's.

Some of the other benefits apart from JSA and Pension (if you'd clicked on the link you'd know) include disability allowance/PIP/attendance/carers, housing benefit and income support.
                      And about 1 million of the 23 million are under 16.

I can't say that 11M are working to claim benefits, but I can say that 264k out of about 10M are on JSA.

Comment

Working...
                      X