• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh those racist Danes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you want to argue benefits claimants should be made to work (in some guise), I will broadly speaking agree (assuming you can work, giving you some grace period, etc).

But in that case they should be paid to work at NMW/NLW. That's give or take £250-300pw which is roughly what you might get in UC if you get housing benefit and had one child.
    I agree, if there is work available locally.
    But there are also other issues - e.g. if you have a child, then who looks after the child while you work?

If there isn't work available locally, what should they be made to do, that isn't taking someone else's job?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Oh, you pay for your schooling and health care. Jolly good. Well done. When you've grown up, you can also avail yourselves of free schools and health care for any progeny you might foist upon some poor unsuspecting lass.
      FYI schools and health care are not free ,they are funded from the tax money , not sure how it is in switzerland
      Do you feel better after writing insults ?
      have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

But there are also other issues - e.g. if you have a child, then who looks after the child while you work?

If there isn't work available locally, what should they be made to do, that isn't taking someone else's job?
        Yeah, if they can't find you work that's not your problem "available to work" probably the phrase. Although education, volunteering, training could all count as 'work' in my book. Maybe you might be strongly encouraged to travel e.g. for seasonal work but that's getting close to conscription. Not 100% against the idea that dad has to go work in Somerset for 6 weeks to feed his family if needed but that's a seismic change and it would be ludicrous to try and sweep that in suddenly. Especially given government's competence to design the scheme properly and make sure 'small details' like single parents, disabled people, accommodation, are taken into account.

I wouldn't say I am ideologically very happy with the idea you can have a child and then say "well I can't work I have a kid, where's the cash" either though. Again, that's cynical I am not saying that's the norm. For that matter, if there are two parents then the modern attitude both should/have to work isn't one I love either.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

FYI schools and health care are not free ,they are funded from the tax money , not sure how it is in switzerland
          Do you feel better after writing insults ?
          have a good day
          We have the cheapest mods on the Internet here. They check first their IQ and give them a personality tests. The ones with no personality pass.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

Are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you a victim of the state school system?
            Arguing "it's not free" is like a 13yo the first time the venture into political debate and think they're being genuinely clever and original.

Comment

Among Wailers, it's a belief. i.e. ingrained and almost impossible to change with facts or science.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...cs-august-2021

23 million people claiming benefits. Of those, 12.5 million are claiming the state pension (and 4 million of those are claiming at least one other benefit)

Of course, if we send all the people on benefits - the disabled, the over 80s, etc, out to work that will drive down salaries which is the opposite of what you are advocating in other threads.
              well it seemed to be more prevalent among remainers - British workers too lazy to pick fruit when tried lots volunteered but didn't get offered the job because they wanted to be paid a decent wage and couldn't be abused like migrant labour.

Nice whattaboutery though.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Nice whattaboutery though.
                Can we stop with the w-word please, it's been done to death of late. Make your point like an adult or don't bother.

Comment

Well there are plenty of jobs that aren't financially viable but need to be done. Most could be done remotely. crowd watching CCTV via the net for offences etc.

I would have a taper from claimant start. 3 months on jsa to find a job, then mandatory training for 3 months then onto working for benefits. Behave yourself you can earn more training.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Can we stop with the w-word please, it's been done to death of late. Make your point like an adult or don't bother.
                    Hey I made my point ?tfh decided to be obtuse and accused the mail and suggested retirees make a difference to discussions about making job seekers work.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hey I made my point ?tfh decided to be obtuse and accused the mail and suggested retirees make a difference to discussions about making job seekers work.
                      Accusing the Mail is rarely obtuse.

Comment

Working...
                      X