• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh those racist Danes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

the brains in this one are weak.

Projects as defined in English are not just temporary.
    Go on then, I'll bite ... show us a link to a definition of a project that is not temporary.

And I'll show you hundreds of definitions of projects that all state that they are temporary.

I think I may have identified why you don't get on with project managers
    Last edited by Whorty; 16 September 2021, 12:48.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Go on then, I'll bite ... show us a link to a definition of a project that is not temporary.

And I'll show you hundreds of definitions of projects that all state that they are temporary.

I think I may have identified why you don't get on with project managers
      show me a definition that proves Whorty is not a thicky.

If you have to add a stipulation that a project is temporary in its charter that obviously means a project is not by default temporary. Try using both brain cells.

I have no problem with good project managers its just that they are so rare and I have to put up with poorly defined projects that they fail to manage. Honestly I think you and Assgoo could do a better job than some I work with even after a lobotomy.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dreary me. Wjorty is right - a project has an aim. When that is achieved (or earlier if the project is cancelled), the project is over. Therefore projects are temporary in their very nature.

vetran is right - there are projects with ostensible aims that nonetheless never achieve them, are never likely to achieve them, and as such, become never ending (non temporary) projects.

A project should be temporary, but some are so long term that the sun will consume the earth as a red giant before they can end.

So you can stop or and instead
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

show me a definition that proves Whorty is not a thicky.

If you have to add a stipulation that a project is temporary in its charter that obviously means a project is not by default temporary. Try using both brain cells.

I have no problem with good project managers its just that they are so rare and I have to put up with poorly defined projects that they fail to manage. Honestly I think you and Assgoo could do a better job than some I work with even after a lobotomy.
          Do you even understand what you are writing? You really are showing yourself up here fella.

As you didn't like the PRINCE2 definition of a project, how about these definitions?

Things that we do (or work that we do) which is routine and regular are not projects. Things that repeat for ever, are not projects. But, things that are done towards a one-time effort, done seeking a specific outcome are projects.
          or this

A project is a temporary venture to produce a new and unique deliverable. A deliverable could be a tangible product, a service or achievement of a required outcome.
          or this directly from PMI's PMBOK .... but I'm sure you'll tell us next that you know better than the PMI?

According to the PMBOK® Guide—Fourth edition (PMI, 2008a, p. 434) the definition of a project is “a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique project service or result.” Projects are temporary and close down on the completion of the work they were chartered to deliver.
          Flipping 'eck, I knew you were a bit dim, but this really does take the biscuit (oh, and the production like at McVities is also not a project)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Dreary me. Wjorty is right - a project has an aim. When that is achieved (or earlier if the project is cancelled), the project is over. Therefore projects are temporary in their very nature.

vetran is right - there are projects with ostensible aims that nonetheless never achieve them, are never likely to achieve them, and as such, become never ending (non temporary) projects.

A project should be temporary, but some are so long term that the sun will consume the earth as a red giant before they can end.

So you can stop or and instead
            Sorry NAT, but you're wrong saying Vetran is right. The NHS is an operational BAU organisation. In itself it is not a project. Building a new A&E unit is a project, implementing a new cancer ward is a project. But once they go 'live' the project is over and it becomes BAU. It really is quite simple

Comment

Sorry NAT, but you're wrong saying Vetran is right. The NHS is an operational BAU organisation. In itself it is not a project. Building a new A&E unit is a project, implementing a new cancer ward is a project. But once they go 'live' the project is over and it becomes BAU. It really is quite simple
              NOT IF YOU FOLLOW THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF A PROJECT!

oh ffs!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

i love it when the thickos argue.
                especially when the Basel biblebasher joins in!

all we need now is the durham druid for a full house.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

i love it when the thickos argue.
                  especially when the Basel biblebasher joins in!

all we need now is the durham druid for a full house.
                  You have a natural talent for alliteration. BBB, DD.

Comment

NOT IF YOU FOLLOW THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF A PROJECT!

oh ffs!
                    You lot are funny.

Comment

Working...
                    X