• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health and social care tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Surely everything is Thatcher's fault?
    Only house price inflation....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Surely everything is Thatcher's fault?

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I guess you're not aware. While Labour used PFIs heavily, they were not a Labour initiative.
        They were introduced in 1992.
        Agreed John Major introduced them under the Tories.
        To be fair I think he only did a couple though, unlike Labour who did hundreds.
        Then also to be fair that was New Labour who under Blair really were Tories.

That's why we see nothing new from Starmer, who is useless.
        Labour actually managed to find someone who was worse than Corbyn, no wonder they cannot get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I'm sure there was something else that Milk Snatcher was known for.
          It can't have introducing a new tax because the Tories are a party of tax-cutters - maybe we should have a Poll on that.
          It can't have been selling off public assets to raise funds and make individuals feel they were profiting with their support for the Party, but if you see Sid, ask him.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Any idea how to reform the worlds 5th largest employer which isn't even a single entity, where a failed project not only makes headline news, but risks and issues have to be measured in real human lives.

I primarily work in Healthcare now and I can tell you it's not easy, and its not for the want of trying.
            This seems to make a lot of sensible points.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ve-enough.html

Our outcomes are poorer than many comparable nations, the provision is poorer and the use of technology poorer.

Also this the NHS is free is a smokescreen similar countries supply a superior level of service that is basically free.

Most companies compare themselves to their peers and adopt technology that improves their service.

This sacred Cow needs to go on a diet and exercise routine, however no politician has the balls to do it!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

This sacred Cow needs to go on a diet and exercise routine, however no politician has the balls to do it!
              Thing is as SMc says it isn't a single entity, not even in the same hospital really. Some departments are absolutely amazing, others a lot less so. So be very careful of applying a broad brush to this. The real issue from my perspective is leadership, where good practice is apparent there can be amazing results. Leeds was one of the first to start doing kidney transplants again in the country thanks to outstanding leadership and organisation within the department, right down to the domestics who work tirelessly in that unit. Thanks to getting ahead of the game they got the pick of the deceased kidneys, normally in a week they do around 4 transplants, during last June, July & August they were hitting 32!!!! They basically listed the patients who had a low risk of ICU post transplant and got stuck in , during Covid!!! Amazing achievement of which I benefitted.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Thing is as SMc says it isn't a single entity, not even in the same hospital really. Some departments are absolutely amazing, others a lot less so. So be very careful of applying a broad brush to this. The real issue from my perspective is leadership, where good practice is apparent there can be amazing results. Leeds was one of the first to start doing kidney transplants again in the country thanks to outstanding leadership and organisation within the department, right down to the domestics who work tirelessly in that unit. Thanks to getting ahead of the game they got the pick of the deceased kidneys, normally in a week they do around 4 transplants, during last June, July & August they were hitting 32!!!! They basically listed the patients who had a low risk of ICU post transplant and got stuck in , during Covid!!! Amazing achievement of which I benefitted.
                Indeed such best practice examples are available both across the UK & the world. We need our leaders to set the expectation that best practices will be adopted across the UK and we should exceed the achievements of similar health services abroad. I have worked for global organisations that dictated changes centrally and made them happen which made us darlings of the shareholders, despite having multiple divisions across hundred plus countries each country could easily have 50 sites. It is possible but it requires as you supply leadership and direction. Benchmarking is very effective.

We should say "we expect X type cancer survival rate to be as good or better than the world leader Germany and they spend X% of GDP per capita achieving that, we spend x+0.00004% on it. Make it happen!"

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Indeed such best practice examples are available both across the UK & the world. We need our leaders to set the expectation that best practices will be adopted across the UK and we should exceed the achievements of similar health services abroad. I have worked for global organisations that dictated changes centrally and made them happen which made us darlings of the shareholders, despite having multiple divisions across hundred plus countries each country could easily have 50 sites. It is possible but it requires as you supply leadership and direction. Benchmarking is very effective.

We should say "we expect X type cancer survival rate to be as good or better than the world leader Germany and they spend X% of GDP per capita achieving that, we spend x+0.00004% on it. Make it happen!"
                  That would be wonderful, but the legacy of NHS reforms is a fragmented service in competition with itself. There is no central leadership, that was abdicated in favour of a "Health Market" formed of devolved NHS Trusts acting in their own interests and driven by the need to be seen to make a notional profit against the money they received from Govt.

It would take a wholesale sale change in policy to centralise control of the NHS and apply governance and standards national level which goes directly against the current Govt.'s private enterprise market driven services ethos.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

That would be wonderful, but the legacy of NHS reforms is a fragmented service in competition with itself. There is no central leadership, that was abdicated in favour of a "Health Market" formed of devolved NHS Trusts acting in their own interests and driven by the need to be seen to make a notional profit against the money they received from Govt.

It would take a wholesale sale change in policy to centralise control of the NHS and apply governance and standards national level which goes directly against the current Govt.'s private enterprise market driven services ethos.
                    Yep but if we don't the NHS will fall to pieces and under deliver. If it were easy then it would have been done already.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There was massive HPI even before Thatcher in the 1970s.

"At the start of the 70s the average house price was £4,057. By the end of the decade, the average house price had quadrupled to £19,925"

https://www.sunlife.co.uk/articles-g...-then-and-now/

Comment

Working...
                      X