• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exotic car hire - Any recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic car hire - Any recommendations?

So MrsB has a big birthday coming up. She's always been a bit of a fan of Maserati's in particular and I was looking at renting something for a weekend, but leaving aside the actual prices it's not proving easy to find one with a decent reputation. Some of them look like outright crooks.

Has anyone used any of them or have any recommendations?

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    So MrsB has a big birthday coming up. She's always been a bit of a fan of Maserati's in particular and I was looking at renting something for a weekend, but leaving aside the actual prices it's not proving easy to find one with a decent reputation. Some of them look like outright crooks.

Has anyone used any of them or have any recommendations?
    Ask to borrow the Butlers?

Sixt rent them ,they are advertising on the telly. Maybe talk to a dealer and see who they recommend. Maybe pop the rolex on and book a test drive.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It appears Hertz have a dream car arm but I must admit I'm not 100% sure about it. You can view the cars on the Hertz site here..
      https://www.hertz.com/p/collections/...r-cars#explore

But the more I look in to it the less sure I am. On the main Hertz page https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservation/ scroll down to the bottom and it says partners. Dream Collection is there but if you click that it takes you to https://www.hertzdreamcollection.co.uk/ If you check their FB page they've got exacly 108 followers where Hertz have over 300K. Something doesn't look right.

The first page has a number of Maseratis but the dreamcar page doesn't so really not sure what is going on there. Might be an option if you want to do some digging to be sure first.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Buy her one? If you're a tightwad, sell it after the weekend.

Comment

Get Passat

Milan

Comment

Tried Meridien?
            Based in Hampshire.
            They were the Maserati importer for a while. Think they do more than that now.
            Might be worth a shot.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Some of them look like outright crooks.
              That reminded me of the one year old Merc i once bought that had been leased to one of these shady rental firms, got it for almost half of the new list price.
              They had fitted it with a clocking chip inside/behind the odometer to avoid paying the mileage excess when it came close to hitting the lease mileage allowance, the chip seemed to be designed to reduce the mileage count, eg every 10 miles driven was recorded as 5 miles..
              Luckily the odometer was only clocked by 2000 miles. The main engine computer was still recording the correct mileage.
              They hadn't bothered to take the chip out before they gave it back to Mercedes who were the lease owner.
              I only noticed something was up when the rev counter in the odometer unit was acting weird. Although the warranty didn't cover a clocked odometer. The dealer still replaced it as they had ordered a new unit without taking the old one out and fully inspecting it.
              Last edited by Fraidycat; 29 August 2021, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

That reminded me of the one year old Merc i once bought that had been leased to one of these shady rental firms, got it for almost half of the new list price.
                They had fitted it with a clocking chip inside/behind the odometer to avoid paying the mileage excess when it came close to hitting the lease mileage allowance, the chip seemed to be designed to reduce the mileage count, eg every 10 miles driven was recorded as 5 miles..
                Luckily the odometer was only clocked by 2000 miles. The main engine computer was still recording the correct mileage.
                They hadn't bothered to take the chip out before they gave it back to Mercedes who were the lease owner.
                I only noticed something was up when the rev counter in the odometer unit was acting weird. Although the warranty didn't cover a clocked odometer. The dealer still replaced it as they had ordered a new unit without taking the old one out and fully inspecting it.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	COOLSTORY.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4180148
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When I was at college, a group of us were having lunch opposite a garage that had an American Mustang for sale. I bet that I could go over to the garage and get a free ride. I wondered around the cars and the salesman asked is there anything in particular you like. I answered no but I have been looking for a Dodge Challenger. He said why don't you try the Mustang. I reluctantly agreed and left the garage in the Mustang with rear wheel spining much to the amazement of the other students.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Friends of mine recently hired a Maclaren for a weekend. I'll ping them to find out who they got it from.

Comment

Working...
                    X