• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Exotic car hire - Any recommendations?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Any idiot can have a lambo (see LM's thread), go for the e-type

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Insurance included but there is a £5000 bond payable up front and refunded on return assuming you haven't trashed it.
    Yes, that's shown on the price list. If you can time it right, you can chuck that on a credit card and have it refunded before it has to be paid.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    There are plenty of reputable classic car hirers out there if that's more to your liking.

Maso
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

They used bespokes.co.uk

Apparently covid has hit them quite hard and they may have sold off a load of their stock but worth checking them out.
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

600 quids/day for a sports car. I wonder how much will be the insurance on the top of that.
    Insurance included but there is a £5000 bond payable up front and refunded on return assuming you haven't trashed it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    There are plenty of reputable classic car hirers out there if that's more to your liking.

Maso

They used bespokes.co.uk

Apparently covid has hit them quite hard and they may have sold off a load of their stock but worth checking them out.

Cheers both, will give them a call.
    And they have sold the Maserati due to downsizing during covid. Bugger., Back to the drawing board.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

600 quids/day for a sports car. I wonder how much will be the insurance on the top of that.
    Here's the price list

https://bespokes.co.uk/prices/

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

Maso

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Maso

They used bespokes.co.uk

Cheers both, will give them a call.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's Bespoke in the link I posted
    I didn't hover over the random 'maso' word to see the link. It wasn't at all clear what you were recommending or else I'd have done a +1

So that's two votes for bespokes then.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    It's Bespoke in the link I posted

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Friends of mine recently hired a Maclaren for a weekend. I'll ping them to find out who they got it from.
    They used bespokes.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied

Maso
    Last edited by NigelJK; 31 August 2021, 09:01.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Friends of mine recently hired a Maclaren for a weekend. I'll ping them to find out who they got it from.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    When I was at college, a group of us were having lunch opposite a garage that had an American Mustang for sale. I bet that I could go over to the garage and get a free ride. I wondered around the cars and the salesman asked is there anything in particular you like. I answered no but I have been looking for a Dodge Challenger. He said why don't you try the Mustang. I reluctantly agreed and left the garage in the Mustang with rear wheel spining much to the amazement of the other students.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

That reminded me of the one year old Merc i once bought that had been leased to one of these shady rental firms, got it for almost half of the new list price.
    They had fitted it with a clocking chip inside/behind the odometer to avoid paying the mileage excess when it came close to hitting the lease mileage allowance, the chip seemed to be designed to reduce the mileage count, eg every 10 miles driven was recorded as 5 miles..
    Luckily the odometer was only clocked by 2000 miles. The main engine computer was still recording the correct mileage.
    They hadn't bothered to take the chip out before they gave it back to Mercedes who were the lease owner.
    I only noticed something was up when the rev counter in the odometer unit was acting weird. Although the warranty didn't cover a clocked odometer. The dealer still replaced it as they had ordered a new unit without taking the old one out and fully inspecting it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	COOLSTORY.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4180148

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Some of them look like outright crooks.
    That reminded me of the one year old Merc i once bought that had been leased to one of these shady rental firms, got it for almost half of the new list price.
    They had fitted it with a clocking chip inside/behind the odometer to avoid paying the mileage excess when it came close to hitting the lease mileage allowance, the chip seemed to be designed to reduce the mileage count, eg every 10 miles driven was recorded as 5 miles..
    Luckily the odometer was only clocked by 2000 miles. The main engine computer was still recording the correct mileage.
    They hadn't bothered to take the chip out before they gave it back to Mercedes who were the lease owner.
    I only noticed something was up when the rev counter in the odometer unit was acting weird. Although the warranty didn't cover a clocked odometer. The dealer still replaced it as they had ordered a new unit without taking the old one out and fully inspecting it.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 29 August 2021, 08:57.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X