• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you get started contracting yourself out to professional employers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to go contract, but most employers I speak to seem .. dare I say it, immature and unprofessional. Most want to avoid conversations around IR35 or don't know about it at all.How do you get started contracting yourself out to professional employers?

I'm a dev/data scientist with 10+ years of experience. One of the reasons I'd like to go contract is that most perm positions forbid any side business and make claims overall IP/software. I feel so trapped in perm employment and so limited by it. I'm an entrepreneur at heart but want something to fall back on should things go sideways. Most people I speak to find this to be completely alien.

My problem is I've looked at going contract, and most companies I've engaged with seem to want to treat you like an employee on the cheap. For example, one employer I spoke were not happy with me taking on other clients, another wanted me in 9-5 and stated they would keep extending the contract in 6-month blocks, but both insisted it was outside of IR35.

My questions are:
    • What is the state of the market at the moment? Particularly for those with data science and dev (+cloud) skills.
    • How do you get started contracting yourself out to professional employers?

I can't comment on the market for your skill set.

However, it is an uphill battle to get clients to understand what it is they want from a contractor. It's been a bugbear of mine for a long time that if only clients were HONEST about their resourcing requirements, IR35 would not be an issue. There is space for all types of resources but they focus on hiding headcount and reducing their tax liability.

Getting started does require putting up and shutting up in the beginning. It's by building a portfolio of work and a network of contacts that you can ultimately be taken seriously as a consulting / professional business partner.

Some people do manage to find a niche early on or have the skill set to develop and sell a product but for the majority of contractor it will take some time.

There are good clients out there, sadly they're just in the minority.

Comment

The simple fact is that a significant percentage of clients using contractors want an employee, not a supplier. These often come from separate budget lines and is easier to get approved than a new permanent member of staff. The client just wants someone to turn up.

To understand this, make sure you're putting yourself forward as a supplier providing services. ie. have some sort of sales and marketing function. Engaging on that basis, you'll soon find out if the client wants a supplier or a disguised employee.

However, it sounds like you've already found out the answer, so need to make a decision on whether you'll accept such gigs.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 25 August 2021, 08:04.

Comment

Originally posted by sidestepping View Post
        Trying to go contract, but most employers I speak to seem .. dare I say it, immature and unprofessional. Most want to avoid conversations around IR35 or don't know about it at all.How do you get started contracting yourself out to professional employers?

I'm a dev/data scientist with 10+ years of experience.
        How many of those years have been employed at the same company?
        How are you finding the customers you are speaking to? Are they customers of your current employer?
        Have you spoken to agents?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm a dev/data scientist with 10+ years of experience.
          There's a massive demand for people with your skills at the moment. I get calls almost every day.

Need to get in contact with the big agencies.

Make it clear you contract only on your LinkedIn profile (you do have a profile?) and mark your profile as "looking for opportunities", they will call you.

Find an accountant.

Comment

Again loads of demand for your skills, multiple calls a week, you might want to wait until September when it will be busy again.

Have a look at indeed for what people are looking for, make sure you have it.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Trying to go contract, but most employers I speak to seem .. dare I say it, immature and unprofessional
              Says the guy that doesn't know the difference between and employer and a client

I'm an entrepreneur at heart
              Most entrepreneurs have the nouse to understand what is needed and what is to be done. That's their skill. They generally don't make fundamental mistakes like thinking your client is your employer.

employee on the cheap. For example, one employer
              That's what employers do, look for employees. The clue is is the name.

Learning how to be a professional contractor is a good start.

Last edited by northernladuk; 25 August 2021, 09:22.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

,,,but most employers I speak to seem .. dare I say it, immature and unprofessional.
                That's because they're permies.

NLUK - when you see "employers" read it as "those who use contractors", using the general sense of "employ". Only thinking of your blood pressure.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  That's because they're permies.

NLUK - when you see "employers" read it as "those who use contractors", using the general sense of "employ". Only thinking of your blood pressure.
                  Well yes but it's a very fundamental point which is key to everything else going forward. If the OP stays in this mindset he's going to make other mistakes of the back of that going forward. Surely the one of the most important parts of being a business person is to understand your customer and what they need. If he can't do the former then the latter is going to be complicated. He's clearly struggling so maybe pointing out his mistakes may help no?

I do think that if you have to ask this type of question of your peers then you aren't really an entrepreneur, just a contractor with the same pipe dream that every contractor has at some point so just thinking pointing out the difference between an employer and a customer might clarify his situation a little.

Normally when they use the word once I'm being a cheeky pedant pointing it out and yes, it's just the OP using a term mistakenly. I do think in this case the OP has got it fundamentally wrong.

Also OP has been daft enough to post in General so Christ knows what else they are capable of.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Also OP has been daft enough to post in General
                    There's an increasing incidence of that.

Maybe it's the weather?
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X