• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car fuel additives - Do you use one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Having used fuel additives and almost 3 weeks gone by, here are my findings based on my personal experience.

1. No more dashboard symbols, warnings and alarms.
    2. Engine is extremely smooth that I can't even hear the engine running (haven't gone deaf yet! :-))
    3. Performance is amazing. Did about a 400 mile journey and it was enjoyable. Felt like driving a new car.
    4. I am no longer worried that the car might stop in the mid-way that I have to make an emergency stop on the hard shoulder.

I am satisfied and can confirm that fuel additives are not a myth or a snake oil!

At the time of writing, Wilko has half price offers on fuel additives.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
      Update: Having used fuel additives and almost 3 weeks gone by, here are my findings based on my personal experience.

1. No more dashboard symbols, warnings and alarms.
      2. Engine is extremely smooth that I can't even hear the engine running (haven't gone deaf yet! :-))
      3. Performance is amazing. Did about a 400 mile journey and it was enjoyable. Felt like driving a new car.
      4. I am no longer worried that the car might stop in the mid-way that I had to make an emergency brake on the hard shoulder.

I am satisfied and can confirm that fuel additives are not a myth or a snake oil!
      Are you just filling up with supermarket fuel and doing the additive?

how much does the additive cost, compared to just getting your fuel from somewhere like BP, regular diesel? As I find BP diesel runs well on my car with their additives.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        2. Your DPF will clean itself when you take a run on the motorway (engine at normal temp + 3500 rpm for 5 mins.
        I'm not sure my diesel has ever reached 3500rpm, it's one of the things I love about it, just pulls like a train at low rpm. I suppose I should try a little harder

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          I'm not sure my diesel has ever reached 3500rpm, it's one of the things I love about it, just pulls like a train at low rpm. I suppose I should try a little harder
          Recently, I used a DPF cleaner which lowers the temperature at which regeneration happens. It appears that regeneration normally takes place at around 600 degree C which doesn't happen if car is used mostly for city driving.
          Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post

Are you just filling up with supermarket fuel and doing the additive?

how much does the additive cost, compared to just getting your fuel from somewhere like BP, regular diesel? As I find BP diesel runs well on my car with their additives.
            I was using supermarket fuel for the past 1+ years which is when problems started. Since using additives I have filled up only once and that was from Shell. From now on I will be minimising or stop the use of supermarket fuel.
            Last edited by BigDataPro; 10 August 2021, 14:37.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Use Premium fuels like BP Ultimate - for diesel it improved range for me, making it actually cost efficient buy. Expect at least 3 full tanks before any difference is visible.
              I just followed your advice today atW. If the MPG doesn't increase sufficiently I shall be suing you!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

I was using supermarket fuel for the past 1+ years which is when problems started. Since using additives I have filled up only once and that was from Shell. From now on I will be minimising or stop the use of supermarket fuel.
                If it works for you, that's great. Using additives may be covering up issues with your engine not self adjusting to the differences in fuel. The performance of my engine fell and it was only after I thought "Oh f-it, I don't trust the garage and I will go over everything myself" the engine then ran super fine, no lumpy tick-over, MPG shot up and was greater than the manufactures figures etc. I think my engine would run fine on shoe polish.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

AtW! So far my average MPG is showing about 4 lower than before! I've been checking the Contract Killer website.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    AtW! So far my average MPG is showing about 4 lower than before! I've been checking the Contract Killer website.
                    As I said on the other place, just tell me the make and model of his bike, and the colour of cycling club top.

...think of it as a favour to humanity.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I add lead.

I feel a bit out of step...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X