• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Car fuel additives - Do you use one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #51
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

    Most contractors like me aren't really bothered about paying little extra for premium fuel. It is the lack of knowledge on the junk that exist in Supermarket fuel. The answer becomes apparent only after facing the issues like the one I did. Until then, it falls under the common sense of "Why pay more when you can pay less for the same fuel?"
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/09...-need-to-know/

    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

    Comment


      #52
      Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

      Just buy premium diesel. It never ceases to amaze me people who'll put junk additives in their tank while ignoring the obvious answer staring them in the face on the fuel station forecourt.
      It never ceases to amaze me the people who ignore the manufacturer's advice in the handbook conveniently placed in their glove compartments saying not to use additives.

      What is the difference between the "Premium Diesel" the stuff at the normal pumps? Additives.

      Comment


        #53
        Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I'm glad I have a petrol car. This all sounds like far too much effort
        Not as much effort as changing down a gear or two every time you go up a hill.

        I also like your car, BTW.

        Comment


          #54
          Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I'm glad I have a petrol car. This all sounds like far too much effort
          you still might need premium fuel on petrol cars. My last car was a petrol, and on Tesco Momentum, and Shell VPower high octane fuels, it was running far better than basic supermarket petrol. The car does have to be designed to use higher octane fuel though e.g 98RON, versus the basic 95 RON supermarket petrol.
          Last edited by caffeine man; 27 July 2021, 16:32.

          Comment


            #55
            Originally posted by caffeine man View Post

            you still might need premium fuel on petrol cars. My last car was a petrol, and on Tesco Momentum, and Shell VPower high octane fuels, it was running far better than basic supermarket petrol. The car does have to be designed to use higher octane fuel though e.g 98RON, versus the basic 95 RON supermarket petrol.
            I buy from the garage closest to me when I need to top up. I have never been one to chase the pennies. Bog standard 95 RON goes in, don't see the point in paying extra for higher octane when I do about 2k miles a year.

            Comment


              #56
              Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

              I buy from the garage closest to me when I need to top up. I have never been one to chase the pennies. Bog standard 95 RON goes in, don't see the point in paying extra for higher octane when I do about 2k miles a year.
              Do you pass the petrol station in Holland Road that charges about £2.00 a litre? I spoke to the owner a few years ago. The upshot is, he relies on people not reading the prices before fill-up.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

              Comment


                #57
                Originally posted by Paddy View Post

                Do you pass the petrol station in Holland Road that charges about £2.00 a litre? I spoke to the owner a few years ago. The upshot is, he relies on people not reading the prices before fill-up.
                No, don't tend to go that way. I usually end up at the BP garage round the corner from my parents in Sussex or the BP just off the westbound A4 just before the Hammersmith roundabout.

                Comment


                  #58
                  There is an interesting video about whether additives are snake oil or is it something to be reconsidered. Well, all I want is to get rid of those dashboard flashlights and to have a smooth running engine.

                  Albeit not knowing the technicalities of a car, I will come back update this thread based on the personal experience (a.k.a) end user perspective.

                  https://youtu.be/AvdHI6TPqiI
                  Last edited by BigDataPro; 28 July 2021, 18:43.

                  Comment


                    #59
                    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                    There is an interesting video about whether additives are snake oil or is it something to be reconsidered. Well, all I want is to get rid of those dashboard flashlights and to have a smooth running engine.

                    Albeit not knowing the technicalities of a car, I will come back update this thread based on the personal experience (a.k.a) end user perspective.

                    https://youtu.be/AvdHI6TPqiI
                    That video is for Bio-Diesel which is a different kettle of fish, I know the ins out outs of Bio-Diesel but the discussion about that would be far too lengthy. However, I will mention one cheap additive and that is Acetone and it quite efficient and cheap. It is illegal to use it in the UK unless you send a cheque to HMRC for road fuel duty.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

                    Comment


                      #60
                      Originally posted by caffeine man View Post

                      you still might need premium fuel on petrol cars. My last car was a petrol, and on Tesco Momentum, and Shell VPower high octane fuels, it was running far better than basic supermarket petrol. The car does have to be designed to use higher octane fuel though e.g 98RON, versus the basic 95 RON supermarket petrol.
                      Just to be pedantic because there's so much confusion around this out there. High octane / premium fuel is LESS volatile than standard - its used in high performance cars to better control the detonation of the fuel, as the lower grade stuff can burn under pressure rather than when lit by the spark plug. This is actually super bad for the engine but modern cars can detect the and detune the engine to cope.

                      Old cars will just make bad noises.

                      So you need a high performance car to get any advantage out of premium, but premium will absolutely work just fine in anything. It just won't bring any benefits (in terms of octane and outright performance)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X