• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it because I swallow light?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it because I swallow light?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...os-course.html

Now black holes in space are racist too? Cornell launches 'race and the cosmos' course to prove a connection between scientific terms and racial blackness' using music by Outkast and Janelle Monae
    • Cornell is offering a new course titled Black Holes: Race and the Cosmos
    • The course 'will introduce students to the fundamentals of astronomy through readings in Black Studies,' according to its website
    • It will use works like music by Outkast and Janelle Monae to prove the connection
    • The term 'black hole' was first used to describe the light-swallowing space masses in 1967
    • Black holes were first predicted by Einstein in his Theory of General Relativity in 1916
    FFS
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

And black body radiation?

The Russians never used the term Black Hole, because it means arsehole, apparently.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      And black body radiation?

The Russians never used the term Black Hole, because it means arsehole, apparently.
      I promise not to use it on aTw!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

dailymail link: "Black holes were first predicted by Einstein in his Theory of General Relativity in 1916"
        Actually, on a point of order, he didn't. It was Karl Schwarzschild who found a solution to Einstein's field equations that predicted the theoretical possibility of the existence of black holes. But:

"Einstein himself wrongly thought black holes would not form, because he held that the angular momentum of collapsing particles would stabilize their motion at some radius.[123] This led the general relativity community to dismiss all results to the contrary for many years. However, a minority of relativists continued to contend that black holes were physical objects,[124] and by the end of the 1960s, they had persuaded the majority of researchers in the field that there is no obstacle to the formation of an event horizon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

Comment

Current client has stopped using Black List come up some PC alternative which i cant remember.

Black holes should be renamed to Einstein Holes or Schwarzschild holes or Space Time Holes, or just Event Horizons

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
            Current client has stopped using Black List come up some PC alternative which i cant remember.

Black holes should be renamed to Einstein Holes or Schwarzschild holes or Space Time Holes, or just Event Horizons
            Not Einstein Holes, because as GJABS pointed out, Einstein never really believed they exist, and he has enough things named after him already!

For a while in the early(ish) days of general relativity studies they were called frozen stars, because to a distant observer events near the event horizon appear to slow down in time and they stop at the horizon. The word frozen is also apt because a black hole of larger than sub-atomic size is staggeringly cold (unlike any material swirling round it of course).
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 23 June 2021, 21:34.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've seen "block list" and "allow list" (e.g. in firewall rules).

Comment

You can't use event horizon because that's a boundary, not a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  You can't use Event Horizon because that's a tulip movie.
                  FTFY

Comment

All I can think about when I read that title is an episode of Greys Anatomy, that my other half is binge watching, where a woman swallowed a light bulb to try kill herself. Made me squirm that bit did.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X