• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Millennials Are Leaving Six-Figure Tech Jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Half way decent 3-4 bed house (in Slough not Windsor, Ascot, Marlow or Maidehead) is ~ £500k 10 times most professionals salary.
    But who buys a 3-4 bed house as their first property? This is the problem. My first place was a flat, that needed gutting. I had no furniture - my 2 'chairs' were a bean bag and my weight training bench. The tv (2nd hand, ex rental) was on the floor. My bed was that left for me by the seller.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post

If that's what it feels like then they're doing it wrong.

What's in the sprint should be decided by the devs and achievable by the end, based on previous experience of how much can be done. It's not to add pressure and it's specifically to avoid burnout by ensuring a manageable workload that can be sustained over time.

They are constant because we're always looking to improve and it provides regular points to stop and think about that as well as providing a chunk of 'potentially releasable functionality'. It's not to put pressure on the devs.

Daily stand ups are there because communication is good and it gives the devs the chance to raise issues that either the team can help with or someone else needs to go away and get sorted while they focus on the dev.

Scrum was designed to avoid the big problems with waterfall delivery where everything was late and what was delivered was never what the customer wanted, at that point.
      It was designed to be led by the devs, deciding how much work could be done, suggesting improvements to the process and their working lives and insulating them from pressure exerted by project managers to meet some arbitrary deadline that was unachievable.

Don't blame the methodology for the implementation.

100% this ☝️
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

But who buys a 3-4 bed house as their first property? This is the problem. My first place was a flat, that needed gutting. I had no furniture - my 2 'chairs' were a bean bag and my weight training bench. The tv (2nd hand, ex rental) was on the floor. My bed was that left for me by the seller.
        My first property was a one bed basement flat that needed damp proofing and doing up (cosmetic work). I did have furniture from living in rentals before I bought. It was a lovely little pad in a good location. I should have kept hold of it but my financial position, credit rating and risk appetite at the time weren't good.

Comment

Are they any different to our day, in real terms? And a lot more choice these days, and 'luxuries'* in the houses.

Mate of mine was in a shared house and the only shower was on the landing, with a flimsy bath curtain around it. You had to warn everyone in the (mixed sex) house if you was going for a shower. He was mid 20's at the time, although he did meet his future wife in that house share so maybe the shower arrangement wasn't all bad

* washing machine, dish washer, micro wave etc etc
          Yes they are.

A lot more houseshares don't have a living room as this is now a bedroom. Either landlords deliberately do it, or tenants actually ask so they can reduce the rent. (Even in the tulipholes I lived in we had a bedroom. I looked up what some of my landlords had done in the years since I'd moved out and they all had put in extra bathrooms.)

There is also a lot more room sharing again to reduce the rent each person pays.

Also in London a lot more adults live with their parents or another relation, unless their parents own another property they can live in.

Edited to say: Dishwashers, microwaves and washing machines aren't expensive. They have reduced in price in real terms.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 9 June 2021, 09:10.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I know people who have done this. Simply because they brought older e.g. mid-30s and were either immediately having children or had one already.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I bought a flat first (before I met my wife) in one of the nicest areas in Guildford, I lived on toast through the ERM fiasco and yes my TV was second hand I fixed a broken one, my bed was a spare one a family member had. I sold it for the same price as a 4 bed terrace in one of the villages in the slough postcode. I was earning just above average wage and was in my mid 20s. We intended to have kids which we did in our thirties.

The point to understand is if I had an equivalent job now the wage wouldn't support either purchase.

Build more houses have fewer people wanting them. Watch the prices fall.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The issue isn't directly the number of houses. The issue is space to build houses in the parts of the country where people want to live (and, to some extent, where the jobs are).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some of us live or lived in London. So while you get paid more housing costs much more in comparison to the salary premium you get.
                  ​​
                  The Americans moaning about work/life balance also lived in expensive cities.
                  Today yes, but 20-50 years ago? I'm sure London has always been expensive but surely the house price inflation has only amplified this more there? e.g. before you could get a place on the outskirts for a reasonable price, now those are effectively London prices too?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I bought a flat first (before I met my wife) in one of the nicest areas in Guildford, I lived on toast through the ERM fiasco and yes my TV was second hand I fixed a broken one, my bed was a spare one a family member had. I sold it for the same price as a 4 bed terrace in one of the villages in the slough postcode. I was earning just above average wage and was in my mid 20s. We intended to have kids which we did in our thirties.

The point to understand is if I had an equivalent job now the wage wouldn't support either purchase.

We don't need more houses really. What we need is HMG to stop continually propping up the housing market.

There needs to be a wholesale correction in the price of a home but because prices are hyper inflated, it would put millions into negative equity so they have to keep topping up the air in the bubble.

Comment

Plenty of people wide of the mark talking about the cost of the mortgages for kids. It's not the mortgages that are a problem for them because they can afford rent; it's saving the 10-15% deposit up that's killing them.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X