• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration

“The Brexit-backing boss of JD Wetherspoon has urged Boris Johnson to introduce a visa scheme for EU workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff in the post-pandemic labour market squeeze.

Tim Martin, an ardent Brexiteer, said the Government should introduce a visa system to alleviate some of the pressures on companies, suggesting that countries geographically closer to the UK could be given preferential treatment.

The intervention came as pub and restaurant bosses warned they were being forced to shut sites during the crucial lunchtime trade due to a shortage of workers.

Mr Martin said: “The UK has a low birth rate. A reasonably liberal immigration system controlled by those we have elected, as distinct from the EU system, would be a plus for the economy and the country.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...taff-shortage/

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You're implying he is being hypocritical. I would say no he isn't being hypocritical, on the basis that Brexit was always about the UK controlling immigration, not eliminating or even reducing it.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

You're implying he is being hypocritical. I would say no he isn't being hypocritical, on the basis that Brexit was always about the UK controlling immigration, not eliminating or even reducing it.
      You might well be right, but I'm not sure everyone who voted for Brexit saw it that way.

Comment

What a load of tulip. The vast majority of immigration to the UK pre-brexit and post brexit is non-EU. Brexiters were thick, are thick and will always be thick.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

What a load of tulip. The vast majority of immigration to the UK pre-brexit and post brexit is non-EU. Brexiters were thick, are thick and will always be thick.
          Over what time period.

since 2005 the vast majority of immigration was EU - the fact you didn’t notice it is because the skin color of the immigrants didn’t make it obvious
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The UK government could have controlled EU immigration while being in the EU or EEA.

They couldn't as the Home Office was and is still a department "not fit for purpose".

Then again what do I know I only worked in EU and EEA countries pre-Brexit and had my status checked plus spoke to people who were unskilled and/or not married to a citizen of the country who had to jump through loopholes to stay.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

People being told for years that they were thick, instead of having their valid concerns about marginalisation in society listened to, is exactly why Brexit happened. You appear to be too thick to realise this. Isn't this twaddle in the wrong forum anyhoo?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

People being told for years that they were thick, instead of having their valid concerns about marginalisation in society listened to, is exactly why Brexit happened.
                You appear to be too thick to realise this.
                This stance is being taking by some with vaccine hesitant people.

What is found to work is actually listening to their concerns and finding an appropriate person to talk to them.

It does help that the press doesn't have liars like Boris Johnson writing anti-vax stories for them.

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Isn't this twaddle in the wrong forum anyhoo?
                Yep
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Over what time period.

since 2005 the vast majority of immigration was EU - the fact you didn’t notice it is because the skin color of the immigrants didn’t make it obvious

That is a myth cleverly spun by the tabloid newspapers. Most of the immigrants in the UK are from non-EU countries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3425a905.png
Views:	330
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	4165414
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Mods! Move this drivel please!

Comment

Working...
                    X