• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign the client is a timewaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I've never met anyone in an interview who didn't match the CV, I think that is more the exception. You can actually make your decision based on the CV. The interview is simply to check that they're not an alcoholic or have other major issues. Tests are superfluous and tell you nothing about their effectiveness.
    I've attended an interview, for a permie position, where the CV the interviewer had didn't entirely match the CV I gave the recruiting agent, he had added some essential technologies that at the time I'd never even heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post

I've attended an interview, for a permie position, where the CV the interviewer had didn't entirely match the CV I gave the recruiting agent, he had added some essential technologies that at the time I'd never even heard of.
      yep had that before, we had a laugh in the interview.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I always bring along a full version of my CV for those instances

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          I always bring along a full version of my CV for those instances
          Yep - me too. Quite a few agencies re-type the CV in their 'style', complete with added spelling mistakes.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post

He probably did no one takes notice of the list of technologies on the bottom of the CV, what you look at is the project experience.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              They can't interview 10 people (I try to keep it to 4 or 5 max), so how do they fairly whittle the candidates down?
              Just randomly put half the cvs in the bin. You don't want to employ anyone who is unlucky.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Just randomly put half the cvs in the bin. You don't want to employ anyone who is unlucky.
                I am a big fan of telephone interviews for just such a reason, you can dismiss most people in 5 minutes as a chancer or poor fit.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He probably did no one takes notice of the list of technologies on the bottom of the CV, what you look at is the project experience.
                  The thing is interviewers do.

I do when interviewing.

You sometimes want people to be able to talk about the pros and cons of technologies they have used as they may have to help find different ones for the entire department to use.

I also don't like CVs where every 3-4 job roles seem a repeat of the previous ones e.g. the candidate has clearly copied and pasted entire sentences from each previous job.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    My mate at RR used to do graduate recruitment, anyone who hadn't had a job whilst at uni was binned no matter the uni or the degree, that cut the list down a lot! Really annoyed one permie as he subbed his kids so they didn't have to work whilst at uni. My mate told him that in his view the company 'had enough spoilt brats and whilst he was in charge they weren't having any more!".
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I also don't like CVs where every 3-4 job roles seem a repeat of the previous ones e.g. the candidate has clearly copied and pasted entire sentences from each previous job.
                      It's really hard to make flipping burgers sound different at MacD's vs BK

Comment

Working...
                      X