• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign the client is a timewaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Oy! That's my gag! (although I pinched it off someone else )
    I certainly pinched it off someone else. Probably you.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'd tell you a SNMP joke but you might not get it.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        Got approached by the internal hiring team from a company. Their recruitment process looks like this:

Our hiring process will take an average of 10 days:

Stage 1 - Phone Interview - 20min
        Stage 2 - Take Home Technical Challenge - 2h
        Stage 3 - Technical interview - 90 min
        Stage 4 - Planning & Delivery Interview - 60min
        Stage 5 - Meet the CTO or Engineering Manager
        Stage 6 - Meet the team

What a wonderful time to be alive.
        Personally, I think that process is way over the top for contractors that can be let go of in a blink of eye ( assuming it's a contract role).

But on the flip side as Whorty said, if you think of it as a sales process, it's not that bad. Let's say the gig is £450 a day (outside IR35, agency is getting paid £500), you work 48 weeks a year and you stay there for 36 months. For them they'll be paying out a total of £360k (exc VAT), so I can understand why they want to have a few extra stages to find someone who can do the work and is going to fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          In my experience, the obscure technologes, such as SNMP, are especially well-worth including as these can put you above the crowd
          I'm not sure that including the 8085 assembler or the GA16-220 FORTRAN IV have ever done much though, to be sure, they're pretty obscure.

Or the HP Rocky Mountain Basic.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I'm not sure that including the 8085 assembler or the GA16-220 FORTRAN IV have ever done much though, to be sure, they're pretty obscure.

Or the HP Rocky Mountain Basic.
            ROSCOE script development.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
              I'd tell you a SNMP joke but you might not get it.
              now you're trappped!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

INFOMAN panel exits in HLAL

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

ROSCOE script development.
                  I can write "Grip", but not this famous one http://docs.aviacons.ru:8383/data_se...ro/int_ov.html even more obscure. Probably 20-50 people who have ever written it in anger.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I worked at a little chef for a while. Only evenings and weekends as I was at school at time. Didn't stay for very long, probably only about 3 or 4 months.
                    about the same it was while I was at college a happy few months earning drinking vouchers and bunking off.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Are all 31 year olds such whingers, or are you an exception? If you want a job, roll up your sleeves and get on with it. If not, stop complaining.

You're a contractor. You run a company. It takes work for a company to win new business. See the interview process as a sales process, that's all. Or think like a permie and see it as a job interview.
                      They tend to be, so called generation snowflake. A lot are also very easily offended, talking with them is like a minefield. I have thick skin.

Well, I think in the very spirit of the thread this is an example of a client that does not have a role and is just doing interviews for interview's sake.
                      If you have 6 stages with at least 2 days between them, you'll easily get to a month and no good resource stays on the market for that long.

People more aware of how it works please correct me but: I think that they have to build proof that they've looked for resources in UK before being able to bring someone from outside. And this is very much the case with a lot of the roles I've encountered.

They need some poor buggers to be refused for pesky reasons so they can build-up the file and bring a resource on short leash.

Comment

Working...
                      X