• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rise of the loan schemes again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rise of the loan schemes again

It’s not just the rich that avoid tax: it’s teachers and nurses too | Money | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

As it's behind a paywall here are some excerpts....

"On Tuesday the Treasury is set to have its first tax day, when it will unveil dozens of consultations designed to transform the tax system and make it more digital. "

"a rising number of middle-income workers, including NHS nurses recruited during the pandemic, are taking part in tax avoidance schemes and owe the taxman nearly £2 billion."

"pays the worker a small income and a larger amount through a non-refundable loan. The worker is told that the income part is taxable while the loan is not. As a result, they only pay income tax and national insurance on a small part of their earnings."

"Nine out of ten people who use the schemes earn under £50,000 a year and in London there has been a noticeable shift in tax avoidance away from richer boroughs such as Kensington and Chelsea."

One does wonder why they don't make promoting these schemes a criminal offence.

Oh and there is a Chrome/Edge extension that bypasses most paywalls
    It's called...... Bypass Paywalls
    See You Next Tuesday

The author, David Byers, is a bit of an HMRC shill.

HMRC has successfully fought cases against these schemes and chased tax debts from people who use them.
    I know the second part is true, but the first?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

RBKC is no longer the crowning glory of tax avoidance? I need to move to a borough that better aligns to my morals

Comment

Things won't change until HMRC works out that £2bn is not owed by the users of such schemes but by the people promoting and operating them, who are failing to correctly assess and report the tax position in the first place. There are good odds that 90% of the people involved as users are totally unaware of how they are being misled.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And that's before you get to the scavengers picking up the 'debts' once the sharks have had their fill (often the same bloodsuckers...)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            RBKC is no longer the crowning glory of tax avoidance? I need to move to a borough that better aligns to my morals
            Monaco is popular this time of year, you can't get much more tax efficient than Sir Phillip Greed.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

^^^Only Little People pay taxes.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Monaco is popular this time of year, you can't get much more tax efficient than Sir Phillip Greed.
                Better weather too.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Things won't change until HMRC works out that £2bn is not owed by the users of such schemes but by the people promoting and operating them

Yeah 40%+ taxpayers evaded income tax (and NiCs), paid 10% to co-conspirators of this tax fraud, and yet they are the victims who don’t owe tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Yeah 40%+ taxpayers evaded income tax (and NiCs), paid 10% to co-conspirators of this tax fraud, and yet they are the victims who don’t owe tulip.

I'm guessing you have no idea what's actually going on, do you....
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X