• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are the Judge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The sort of compliment I'd expect from your average CUKer would be: "hair looks nice, did you come on a bike?" or "thanks for having a wash before you came out" or "is someone paying you to wear that?".
    And after they've had 6 pints?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      And after they've had 6 pints?
      I really luv yu, yew are my bewst friend!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

1 : 1
        2 : 2

Because it's what I do for both men and women. Being polite and complimentary to everyone improves life at work for everyone, don't take any nonsense from people who tell you that we all need to be suspicious of each other and don't be afraid to speak up is someone is being an ass.

Then bill them for it. You are a contractor after all.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Then bill them for it. You are a contractor after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I have absolutely no issue with the door being held open for me. I will let the kind person know if they don't need to (usually when I'm dawdling and can't be arsed to speed up). Sometimes they will wait, sometimes they don't. That's their choice to make.

A compliment is always nice to receive, how it's delivered is what's important. That depends very much on the relationship you have with the person. The sort of compliment I'd expect from your average CUKer would be: "hair looks nice, did you come on a bike?" or "thanks for having a wash before you came out" or "is someone paying you to wear that?".
            So you must have been pleasantly surprised when I walked in and motorboated you then.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So you must have been pleasantly surprised when I walked in and motorboated you then.
              Or was it NAT? I can't remember exactly but we both seemed to enjoy it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I really luv yu, yew are my bewst friend!
                I love you too, but please answer the question.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Scenario 1

You are walking through some swing doors at your workplace when you notice a female colleague a few metres behind you and following in your wake. Do you

1) Hold the door open for her because you believe it to be the courteous good-mannered thing to do?

2) Let the door go as you don't want to patronise here
                  or (3) Pretend you have forgotten something, and mutter to that effect while holding the door open and pretending to wait until you can pass her going the other way.

Scenario 2

You are attending a works social evening at a bar and you see one of your female workmates arrive absolutely resplendent in a stunning outfit and wearing make-up that really enhances her features. Do you

1) Pretend you haven't noticed her as you don't want to appear "creepy" and overbearing

2) Tell her that she looks fantastic and ask her if you can buy her a drink
                  In (2), the part about looking fantastic sounds a bit creepy and ingratiating to me

But if (1) implies ignoring her as if she wasn't there, that seems like erring to the opposite extreme.

In general, besides other women, the only people who notice what clothes and shoes a woman is wearing are gays and TVs (assuming the clothes are not unduly revealing or outlandish or in some other way conspicuous). The vast majority of hetero males wouldn't notice if a woman wore the same clothes every day for a year!

So I would say the happy medium would be simply to greet her as usual, and offer to buy her a drink if she isn't already holding one.

How long before the only way our younger generation will have of actually making it known to a girl that they quite like her is to swipe on her image on the phone as talking to her will seem too pushy and misogynistic? ..
                  Guilt-ridden metrosexuals may obsess and agonise about being too pushy and misogynistic, but I've heard that most schoolboys these days are pretty forthright and schoolgirls generally take it in their stride and are much the same. So I don't think there's any imminent prospect of the British dying out from an excess of delicate over-compensating consideration for the opposite sex!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    The vast majority of hetero males wouldn't notice if a woman wore the same clothes every day for a year!
                    Spookily, I had this conversation with a friend (female) today. We were talking about Mrs W and I was relating an anecdote that should always told about me. We could be walking hand-in-hand down the road and she'd say, without looking at me, what am I wearing today ... I never got it right. I always, always knew what lingerie she was wearing, but skirt etc, hadn't got a clue. The number of times I've been waiting for her outside a shop and she's walked right up to me and I hadn't noticed her exasperated her

She always said, if ever she was kidnapped the only description I could give would be the colour of her underwear! I'm sure I'm not the only bloke on here who is equally useless
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Spookily, I had this conversation with a friend (female) today. We were talking about Mrs W and I was relating an anecdote that should always told about me. We could be walking hand-in-hand down the road and she'd say, without looking at me, what am I wearing today ... I never got it right. I always, always knew what lingerie she was wearing, but skirt etc, hadn't got a clue. The number of times I've been waiting for her outside a shop and she's walked right up to me and I hadn't noticed her exasperated her

She always said, if ever she was kidnapped the only description I could give would be the colour of her underwear! I'm sure I'm not the only bloke on here who is equally useless
                      From memory today.

Mrs V - Purple/blueish jumper, black leggings & underwear none of your business.

Miss V3 - trolls onsie.

the others none of your business.

I notice, its important to them so I should make an effort.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X