• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are the Judge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are the Judge

Scenario 1

You are walking through some swing doors at your workplace when you notice a female colleague a few metres behind you and following in your wake. Do you

1) Hold the door open for her because you believe it to be the courteous good-mannered thing to do?

2) Let the door go as you don't want to patronise here

Scenario 2

You are attending a works social evening at a bar and you see one of your female workmates arrive absolutely resplendent in a stunning outfit and wearing make-up that really enhances her features. Do you

1) Pretend you haven't noticed her as you don't want to appear "creepy" and overbearing

2) Tell her that she looks fantastic and ask her if you can buy her a drink

I realise that this may come across as odd to many of the geeky nerds on here that don't interact with females that don't have the surname jpeg, but for the normal red-blooded amongst us, what are your thoughts?

How long before the only way our younger generation will have of actually making it known to a girl that they quite like her is to swipe on her image on the phone as talking to her will seem too pushy and misogynistic?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

My judgment is that you have problems.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Harsh but fair....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And my judgment is that YOU can't answer a simple question or two.
        Not that much of a surprise though, you never were the sharpest tool.
        I also posed it towards normal and red-blooded. Stand down.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

He's funny though.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You are missing context, do you know this person? What is your relationship with them? are you a creepy weirdo? are they hyper sensitive?

as you are dealing with humanity both answers are correct and wrong!

as with all questions like this it depends on situation, people and relationships
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              You are missing context, do you know this person? What is your relationship with them? are you a creepy weirdo?
              As far as scenario 1 goes, why would it matter if I know them or not? My gut feeling would be to just hold the door open regardless, however there seems to be an increasing likelihood that this reaction might cause offence in some quarters nowadays even though it never seems to have done in the past. THAT is the point I was trying to make. What has really changed to now make such a gesture offensive to so many?

As for scenario 2 that now seems to be even more of a lottery.
              Personally, if a woman has gone to a lot of trouble to make herself look nice, IMHO it would only be polite to remark upon this in the belief that she would be gratified by this irrespective of who paid her the compliment.
              However there seems to be a growing wave of unease about men doing this as allegedly it might be seen as demeaning.
              Glad I'm past all that shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

As far as scenario 1 goes, why would it matter if I know them or not? My gut feeling would be to just hold the door open regardless, however there seems to be an increasing likelihood that this reaction might cause offence in some quarters nowadays even though it never seems to have done in the past. THAT is the point I was trying to make. What has really changed to now make such a gesture offensive to so many?
                You won't cause offence if you are known for opening the door for all human beings not just female ones.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                As for scenario 2 that now seems to be even more of a lottery.
                Personally, if a woman has gone to a lot of trouble to make herself look nice, IMHO it would only be polite to remark upon this in the belief that she would be gratified by this irrespective of who paid her the compliment.
                However there seems to be a growing wave of unease about men doing this as allegedly it might be seen as demeaning.
                Glad I'm past all that shenanigans.
                It would be at a work event as you are still at work.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Scenario 1 : Hold the door open - take it on the chin if "Karen" gets all uppity.

Scenario 2 : Tell her she scrubs up well - take it on the chin if "Karen" gets all uppity.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It would be at a work event as you are still at work.
                    And? Were you trying to make a point?

Comment

Working...
                    X