• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: You are the Judge

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You are the Judge"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

He's just jealous that you are well known for wearing lycra....
    The laydeeez love it

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You see, your problem there is pretty much everyone on here knows what I look like now (and have probably found me on LinkedIn and Facebook too if they can be bothered) so that's where your little comment fails You must be used to failure though eh?
    He's just jealous that you are well known for wearing lycra....

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post

dunno, didn't you?
    You see, your problem there is pretty much everyone on here knows what I look like now (and have probably found me on LinkedIn and Facebook too if they can be bothered) so that's where your little comment fails You must be used to failure though eh?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Aaaw, did somebody not get his fat belly tickled today?
    dunno, didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

yep, and then it was transformed into a sanctimonious virtue signalling snowflake thread.
    like all the others you contribute to.

hth
    Aaaw, did somebody not get his fat belly tickled today?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

here you go:

I know you ain't fussy I'm not sticking my old chap in that!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

It was started by your mate Spuddy
    yep, and then it was transformed into a sanctimonious virtue signalling snowflake thread.
    like all the others you contribute to.

hth

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

don't worry, it's just another sanctimonious virtue signalling snowflake thread.
    There're a lot of them recently.
    getting like mumsnet on here.
    It was started by your mate Spuddy

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Without the beakers!
    here you go:

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Without the beakers!
    Tommy Tippee cups!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

don't worry, it's just another sanctimonious virtue signalling snowflake thread.
    Without the beakers!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Can't see what sex has to do with it. If a bloke is right behind me I tend to hold the door open for him too. Just basic politeness.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't see what sex has to do with it. If a bloke is right behind me I tend to hold the door open for him too. Just basic politeness.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You sure they hadn't seen you cycling around?

I suspect lots of people have s lycra fetish like many men have a boot fetish.
    ​​
    That's certainly possible, one had seen me cycling to work Still doesn't make it a pleasant thought

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

I've worked with gay men who've complimented me on my dress sense (I wore bespoke suits to the office), why would I be offended? They mean well.

Had plenty come on quite stong when I was younger too, "sorry mate, I'm straight" works just fine. The alternative is some totalitarian office policies - you do know most people meet their life partners at work?
    For the first part, absolutely. I've had people compliment me before, e.g. when I worked somewhere without a dress code but made a conscious choice to shift from jeans/T-shirt to "smart casual". I was flattered, and I had no problem with that. Likewise, I think it would be perfectly acceptable for me to compliment a female colleague. That particularly applies if people wear uniforms at work (e.g. a hospital) and then you meet them at a works do when they're wearing their own clothes.

On the other hand, if someone took my hand and said "I really like your shirt - it brings out the colour of your eyes", I think that's crossing a line. So, I wouldn't behave like that towards a female colleague.

As for where people meet their life partners, I found an interesting bit of research here:
    How do people find love? | YouGov
    "Young people aged 18 to 24 first spot their crushes at university (18%), school (18%) or with mutual friends (15%). In contrast, 45- to 54-year-olds meet tend to meet at work (22%), by chance (19%) or through friends (16%)."

So, you are correct (for a certain age group), but it's not the overwhelming majority, and I suspect that will shift over time.

Personally, I think it's best to go via an intermediate step. For instance, I've worked at places (pre-pandemic) where some of the staff will have a 5-a-side football team, or go out to the pub together. I think it's ok to arrange a social event like that while you're at work. Similarly, once you're seeing someone socially outside of work, it's then ok to ask them out on a date.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X