• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Sounds like a no-brainer to take a punt on it then.
    It could well got to $1 million, just not this year or anytime soon.

It took three years to go from the first time it hit $20,000 to where it is today.

And had 80% drawdown in that period as well.

Comment

BlackRock'''s Rick Rieder on bitcoin: We'''ve started to dabble in it

Rick Rieder, chief investment officer of global fixed income at BlackRock, joined “Squawk Box” on Wednesday to discuss his thoughts on bitcoin and how the world’s largest asset manager is approaching cryptocurrency.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Here's a question ... who would accept being paid in Bitcoin?

Instead of invoicing (say) £10k per month, who would accept the same value in BTC?

I think until we can say we'd accept that, then BTC is not a safe asset class and is still a very high risk bet.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Here's a question ... who would accept being paid in Bitcoin?

Instead of invoicing (say) £10k per month, who would accept the same value in BTC?

I think until we can say we'd accept that, then BTC is not a safe asset class and is still a very high risk bet.
          If I was working with a foreign client I might, I can always trade it back into fiat. In fact I was wondering the other day, are exchanges like Kraken actually useful for trading currency... I haven't checked how their rates compare with more traditional places.

No idea how being paid in BTC would affect your accounts though? Does it count as income until you sell it?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If I was working with a foreign client I might, I can always trade it back into fiat. In fact I was wondering the other day, are exchanges like Kraken actually useful for trading currency... I haven't checked how their rates compare with more traditional places.

No idea how being paid in BTC would affect your accounts though? Does it count as income until you sell it?
            It would be valued on the day received (no different to if someone paid you in gold etc) and sit in your balance sheet the same as cash in bank would. On sale you would record the profit/loss on sale.

If it was a dodgy currency, maybe, but then I wouldn't accept that as payment as part of my contract. I'd insist in being paid in a safe currency like GBP, EUR, USD and let the client take the currency risk.

I'd like to be paid in gold though ... that would be fun
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Too volatile for anything other than a speculative asset.

On the way up it would be great, on the way down, not so much.

Comment

Bitcoin (BTC) price smashes through $51,000 to hit new all-time high

Bitcoin smashes through $51,000 to hit a new all-time high
                Just sayin like.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  Not bigging it up at all.
                  Of course you're not. Keep telling yourself that.
                  You are obviously triggered, best have some quiet time eh?

It is funny how the weaker intellects on this forum jump to the "you're triggered" argument whenever they're just being mocked for being idiots.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Of course you're not. Keep telling yourself that.

It is funny how the weaker intellects on this forum jump to the "you're triggered" argument whenever they're just being mocked for being idiots.
                    I think you'll find your the only one laughing at your weak jokes.

Aren't you supposed to be some kind of moderator rather than a bitter loser spoiling discussion here?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      I think you'll find your the only one laughing at your weak jokes.

Aren't you supposed to be some kind of moderator rather than a bitter loser spoiling discussion here?
                      QED. But wow- I did get under your skin, didn't I? Apropos nothing. All reported posts are notified to all moderators. Just sayin'

Fyi - I'm a moderator and a member of the forum. I generally don't confuse the two roles. E.g. I'm not going to ban you for being someone I consider a bit silly. Nor will not mock your ignorance due to being a moderator. HTH
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X