• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MicroStrategy shares fall after plan to buy more bitcoin is revealed

This is the main difference in this crypto bull market, the big buy in of cash rich companies and investors. The world is awash with QE and negative interest rates.

In a press release, MicroStrategy said it plans to offer $600 million of senior convertible notes and use the net proceeds to buy bitcoin.

After the announcement, its share price gad risen more than 5% in premarket trading.

The company already owns nearly 72,000 units of bitcoin as of a Feb. 2 regulatory filing. That’s worth nearly $3.6 billion based on the price of the virtual currency Tuesday.

It’s the second time MicroStrategy has raised funding to finance a purchase of the cryptocurrency. In December, the Virginia-based company closed a $650 million senior convertible note offering.

Convertible notes are debt that can be turned into a company’s stock, cash or a combination of both at a later date.

Under the leadership of chairman and CEO Michael Saylor, MicroStrategy became an early adopter of companies buying bitcoin as an investment. The company disclosed its first purchase of the cryptocurrency in August, acquiring 21,454 bitcoins using existing cash on its balance sheet.

Saylor advocates for other companies to do the same, hosting a virtual conference earlier this month called “Bitcoin for Corporations.” Saylor publicly encouraged Tesla CEO Elon Musk to follow his “playbook” in a Twitter conversation in December. A little over a month later, Tesla announced it bought $1.5 billion worth of bitcoin and had plans to eventually accept the digital coin as payment for its products.

The price of bitcoin hit $50,000 per coin Tuesday morning for the first time, but then retreated. In recent days several established financial firms such as BNY Mellon and Mastercard announced moves in the crypto space.

MicroStrategy shares have been on a tear since August as some investors looked at the stock as a way to gain exposure to bitcoin. Shares had been more than 660% since Aug. 11, the date the company revealed its first bitcoin buy.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I would liken it more to a game of poker.
      No, it's not poker at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No, it's not poker at all.
        Everyone puts money into a game and a few winners walk away with the stash. Kenny Roger's knows this.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,

Know when to walk away and know when to run.

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.

There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Comment

Everyone puts money into a game and a few winners walk away with the stash.
          There are a lot of games like that, but not all of them poker.

I'll give you a hint - poker has got pretty well defined rules (agreed before game starts).

And the chips you hold half game don't change their value - it's fixed and backed 1 for 1 by real money in the "bank".

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            There are a lot of games like that, but not all of them poker.

I'll give you a hint - poker has got pretty well defined rules (agreed before game starts).

And the chips you hold half game don't change their value - it's fixed and backed 1 for 1 by real money in the "bank".
            The funniest bit there is the "real money in the bank bit"

• Value of the US dollar 1635-2020 | Statista

Fiat money is government-issued currency that is not backed by a physical commodity but by the stability of the issuing government.

Any how, to me it's a game of bluff.

You think $50K for a number is a waste of money?

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/...271243264?s=20

Comment

Bitcoin has changed into "**** you banks, **** you dollar,
              End of 2017 rang and asked for their moronic ramblings back.

Look. I know you've put over 37p into this and can't afford to lose it, but trying to big it up here is a bit of a waste of time. Sell now while it's worth £3.74 You might be able to buy a happy meal. It comes with a free toy. You'd like that.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The funniest bit there is the "real money in the bank bit"
                It's real as long as you get denomination agreed in advance (it's printed on chips).

Essentially "tulipcoins" are illegal securites traded in violation of SEC rules.
                Last edited by AtW; 16 February 2021, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Look. I know you've put over 37p into this and can't afford to lose it, but trying to big it up here is a bit of a waste of time. Sell now while it's worth £3.74 You might be able to buy a happy meal. It comes with a free toy. You'd like that.
                  Not bigging it up at all. Bitcoin itself to me is like these modern art pieces that someone pays $30m for that looks like a child painted.

You are obviously triggered, best have some quiet time eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I'm still running two masternodes for a particular tulipcoin - my stash currently worth 30ishK - was 60k last week and 20k the week before that. Not enough volume for me to cash out at the moment.
                    Are you mining your own? Is it now back to being economically viable to do that even with the elec costs? Or have you got an extension cable plugged into your neighbours outside socket?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

+1. At some point governments are going to see it as a threat. Then pull the plug very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X