• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've now been sober for over two weeks!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now been sober for over two weeks!

Having been hospitalized a few weeks ago due to drinking for 30 years & very heavily at home during lockdown with a continual poor diet, it is now over two weeks since my last alcoholic drink & have been on a healthy low fat diet partly vegan with no takeaways/fast food.

There are a few things I've noticed.

1. I'm still going to bed at the same time, getting up at the time and feel the same but with now with less energy
    2. I'm losing weight and seem to be saving money
    3. Life is exactly the same, but now I definitely know I am living in the matrix and having to live out each and every dull moment of it second by second.
    4. I'm still a bad tempered git who doesn't like people.

So in conclusion, all those smug vegan twats & people who don't drink & who say how much you feel better, loads of energy, best thing they ever did etc. You're all full of crap and I'll meet you behind the services in Bridgewater to prove it!

When are the bloody pubs open so I can go for a pint!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Having been hospitalized a few weeks ago due to drinking for 30 years & very heavily at home during lockdown with a continual poor diet, it is now over two weeks since my last alcoholic drink & have been on a healthy low fat diet partly vegan with no takeaways/fast food.

1. I'm still going to bed at the same time, getting up at the time and feel the same but with now with less energy
    3. Life is exactly the same, but now I definitely know I am living in the matrix and having to live out each and every dull moment of it second by second.

So in conclusion, all those smug vegan twats & people who don't drink & who say how much you feel better, loads of energy, best thing they ever did etc. You're all full of crap and I'll meet you behind the services in Bridgewater to prove it!

I think you're looking for a correlation that doesn't exist.

Cutting out booze, and eating more healthily, isn't going to suddenly turn you from being a cantankerous git

HTH
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Haven't had a beer since October when the pubs shut (don't drink at home) and dreading them opening as will probably be pissed after the first one. I have to admit, hasn't made a blind bit of difference, haven't lost weight, still sleep the same, haven't really saved any extra money (that I know of), eat the same, still grumpy old bugger...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You're still going through the latter stages of alcohol withdrawal, where the symptoms are more subtle and less easy to recognise as such.

Symptom Stages for Alcohol Withdrawal
        says:

Day 12: "After 12 days of abstinence from alcohol, most people who quit have very few withdrawal symptoms. The struggle at this stage is trying to remain sober"
        Day 30 and Beyond: "After 30 days of sobriety, any physical withdrawal symptoms should be well in the past, with the remaining battle to maintain abstinence and recovery. ... The cravings and the urge to drink do not suddenly disappear after 30 days of abstinence. Quitting drinking alone may help you return to better health, but for many, it takes work to remain sober and not have a relapse"

So come back to us in a couple of months, and if you still don't feel better then, then we can consider letting you back onto the bottle

Comment

I haven't had any alcohol for weeks either. No pubs or village club open and no point in drinking home alone, in the small amounts I used to drink, anyway. Me little puppet parrot is not happy.

I remember me student days of drunkeness standing in a mate's open top car shouting "Waste paper baskets to the world" or lying in the mud laughing. Happy days.

I'm still a bad tempered git who doesn't like people
          still grumpy old bugger..
          We all have summit in common.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 7 February 2021, 10:03.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Discovered recently, when drinking a bottle of Old Peculier after stopping for over a year, that I'd lost my taste for it.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Old Peculier? That sounds apropriate!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Due to looking after Mrs W for past few years, and having had to do mad drives to A&E, I just haven't been drinking. As a City couple we'd be on the lash most nights, but last year I'd be surprised if I reached double figures in drinks all year.

Not had a drop this year at all so far - I did have a beer on the evening of the day that Mrs W passed away (Dec), but I quickly realised alcohol and grief are not good bed-fellows. I've never really been a lone drinker, so not missing it. I am looking forward to pubs opening again though so I can meet up with mates for a beer or 2.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Discovered recently, when drinking a bottle of Old Peculier after stopping for over a year, that I'd lost my taste for it.
                  What do you drink instead?

No alcohol(except the odd tipple) for 10 years now.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Sadly, I think it's too soon yet to reap the benefits.

I seem to recall that it takes 3 months to properly embed new habits.

Keep going!

Comment

Working...
                    X