• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't buy a car.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Disagree. Battery technology is improving rapidly, it will be become much cheaper over the coming years. Range of ordinary electric cars will break the 500 mile range soon and be no more expensive to buy than a current dinosaur fuel car.

Hydrogen technology will go nowhere.
    Charging will still be an issue. And not everyone can run a power cable from their home to their car. Convenience will win in the end.

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    A huge portion of car pollution is caused by the brakes/tyres, which unfortunately applies to both ICE and electric, although regen braking in electric might help a little.

I'm hoping to lease an elec car soon, whatever is cheap, don't drive enough to justify a tesla

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    I wouldn't be placing bets on batteries for the long-term. They are a stop-gap solution IMHO. Hydrogen fuel cells is where the technology gets really interesting.
    Disagree. Battery technology is improving rapidly, it will be become much cheaper over the coming years. Range of ordinary electric cars will break the 500 mile range soon and be no more expensive to buy than a current dinosaur fuel car.

Hydrogen technology will go nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You must spread it around before ruining Mordac's reputation
    I'm touched. Although I'm not sure you can ruin it any more than I have...

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    I wouldn't be placing bets on batteries for the long-term. They are a stop-gap solution IMHO. Hydrogen fuel cells is where the technology gets really interesting.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    These are fair points you make. It relies on industry making the changes; in the meanwhile lower end family sized EVs with 150 miles range hover around 30k, which is way out of the price range/usability of most. Without consumer adoption it will not make a difference.

There is one VERY important point: People are scared of buying used EVs. Used cars are 8 out of 9 of the UK market. Used cars are only really seen in the wild on PCP packages to mitigate risk in the eyes of the owner.

It is a hard sell to convince a young family to not pick up a cracking used Peugeot diesel SUV for 5K which will do just shy of 800 miles a tank as opposed to 300 GBP monthly payments in addition to the deposit & balloon payment for a Leaf + the fast charge install.

I would love for it to be different, but battery prices have to come down. The need for rare earth metals adds a dose of geopolitical instability - look at the German's being bent over by Putin over gas.
    Yeah I agree with all of that. It will take time, the value proposition to a lower middle class family living in the suburbs isn't there on an EV yet...

The amount of R&D in batteries is staggering though. Almost every single university in the world that has a decent engineering school/applied sciences is working on some kind of battery tech.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    ...there won't be a wall in the West-Midlands which won't be crapping itself...

You must spread it around before ruining Mordac's reputation

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The Flintstones had the right idea. Not only low emissions but would keep us fit.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Yet.

The repossessions start at the beginning of next year and the bailiffs are eager.
    • 1 in 8 cars are Motability owned so figure is actually higher.

Around early February there will be plenty of opportunities to buy your retirement car.
    Make sure you pay cash.
    I know of a cracking soon to be ex Motability Kia Sportage GTS 4WD in red that will be available mid feb. Only driven on sundays by a mild contractor chappie, never raced or rallied - Just sayin like!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    1 in 8 on motability???

flip..

Disability in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X