• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Don't buy a car.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't buy a car."

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They stopped making SL63s
    If you promise to stop crashing them, they will start making them again...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    They stopped making SL63s

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    It has started.

30% off a new S350d L AMG Line 4dr 9G-Tronic if you can stomach the further 30k depreciation over the next 3 years.

Nice retirement car if you don't have concerns about diesel & don't mind the 2020 model. 0% finance over 48 months to sweeten the deal from MB.

S-Class

or 8k off an MG EV if you are a tightwad.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 10 December 2020, 13:06.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Sounds like Bristol voted for the wrong council.
    At least they didn’t vote for Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It was hard labour...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
    true, but councils can soon bully people in to buying electric cars. Bristol has already banned diesels from 07:30-15:30 in the day. People there will already want different cars.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    60% of cars are over 6 years old, that isn't because people like driving knackered cars.
    No, that's because time moves in one direction

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    true, but councils can soon bully people in to buying electric cars. Bristol has already banned diesels from 07:30-15:30 in the day. People there will already want different cars.

They can try but most politicians won't have the balls to do it.

60% of cars are over 6 years old, that isn't because people like driving knackered cars.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Who the feck is doing that right now? Let's just pop down the shops. Give me two hours to dettol the whole interior...
    A Keep Britain Freedom Fighter would laugh at sheeple who believe that MSM plandemic fake news.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Are people feeling bullied?

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Precisely and replace the millions of cars in ~5 years

Average Age of Cars in Great Britain | NimbleFins.

in 2018 37% of cars were 6-13 years old.18% were >13 years old.

I suspect lots of people will put off purchasing a car any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's presuming you own the car and aren't sharing it with a pool of people.
    Who the feck is doing that right now? Let's just pop down the shops. Give me two hours to dettol the whole interior...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Currently car usage is down massively so its a good time to start. I may not plan to use my car every day so the charge window can be longer.

When and if we return to normal then the commuter vehicle charging load will probably be between start 6-8pm and say finish at 6-8am (to be decided properly by research but that covers most of my commutes over the last 3 decades.)

I come in and plug my car in at 6pm and the intelligent charger App says you can pay 10p a unit and have 4 hours charge by 8am (I set the charge window end) on random charge in this charge window , or you can pay 18p a unit and have 4 hours charge by 10pm i.e. immediately. I choose and the rest is controlled by computers. If there is not enough free capacity at the start of the charge window the price changes and I may not be able to choose continuous charging. I may not always get a full charge if I don't pay the premium or if capacity isn't there.

We have a 33% drop in demand overnight so we have some slack but we won't have enough for everyone to own an electric car without significant investment, hence my support for Hydrogen.

If we can manage a third of the demand on the grid for charging overnight EVs by setting the prices so consumer behaviour is modified is that not a good thing? Remember most houses have a 100a fuse and so can draw 23,000W or 3 times a normal car charger but we could control a third of that.
    That's presuming you own the car and aren't sharing it with a pool of people.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    And of course we could be more effective if we concentrated on the few.

Climate change: Global '''elite''' will need to slash high-carbon lifestyles - BBC News

The world's wealthiest 1% account for more than twice the combined carbon emissions of the poorest 50%, according to the UN.
    Their emissions gap report finds that the richest will need to rapidly cut their CO2 footprints to avoid dangerous warming this century.

The global top 10% of income earners use around 45% of all the energy consumed for land transport and around 75% of all the energy for aviation, compared with just 10% and 5% respectively for the poorest 50% of households, the report says.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    People are going to have to shell out another £10K soon or get used to living in a cold house.

Cut meat and dairy by a FIFTH to save planet: Report tells Brits to slash car trips and curb flights | Daily Mail Online

Again replace not upgrade.

They have now started talking about air source heat pumps but the most common eco fit on the continent (after insulation0 is solar Thermal that can be retrofitted and cut emissions.

Solar Water Heating With Solar Thermal Panels - Which?

Wall insulation is done on most houses now. How well is another matter.

Maybe if window fitters actually sealed round double glazed windows they might actually stop cold air getting through, most seem to leave huge holes round them then stick thin plastic strips over them.

Heat recovery units are a possibility if you can seal the house properly.

Whole House Eco-Retrofit - Centre for Alternative Technology

Leave a comment:

Working...
X