• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't buy a car.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've always maintained that electric cars just move the pollution elsewhere. Yes, they will improve air quality in built-up areas but we're still pumping crud out of power stations to supply the energy. So we need to develop, and quickly, our clean energy infrastructure. The National Grid used to gear up for the mass turning on of kettles across the UK during the Corrie ad breaks. Now they'll have to gear up for daily car recharging at, say, 7pm. That's a far bigger mass draw on power than a million+ kettles.

Well what makes the most sense is "economy 7 for car charging". Make the car chargers intelligent maybe add optical outputs on smart meters that allow the grid to control charging. That would allow you to plug in the car charger controller and you can pick "random minimum 4/8hr overnight charge", sometimes you might want to override this on the charger then pay the full price. This allows the Grid to charge you low rates to charge your car overnight but only when they predict spikes in generation.

20:00-> 06:30 is the dip

Fuel Mix and Carbon Intensity, Last 24 Hours

and 8 hours full charge but 35 minutes for 100 miles.
    How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car? | Pod Point.
    Last edited by vetran; 7 December 2020, 14:13.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In order to have all UK cars run electric, the UK will need to double the number of power stations and double the cabling capacity. Give the history of infrastructure failures, I don't see this happening.
    I've always maintained that electric cars just move the pollution elsewhere. Yes, they will improve air quality in built-up areas but we're still pumping crud out of power stations to supply the energy. So we need to develop, and quickly, our clean energy infrastructure. The National Grid used to gear up for the mass turning on of kettles across the UK during the Corrie ad breaks. Now they'll have to gear up for daily car recharging at, say, 7pm. That's a far bigger mass draw on power than a million+ kettles.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In order to have all UK cars run electric, the UK will need to double the number of power stations and double the cabling capacity. Give the history of infrastructure failures, I don't see this happening.

Precisely and replace the millions of cars in ~5 years

Average Age of Cars in Great Britain | NimbleFins.

in 2018 37% of cars were 6-13 years old.18% were >13 years old.

I suspect lots of people will put off purchasing a car any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    In order to have all UK cars run electric, the UK will need to double the number of power stations and double the cabling capacity. Given the history of infrastructure failures, I don't see this happening.
    Last edited by Paddy; 7 December 2020, 12:08.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    The solution is simple - just build an induction charging network into our roads - no different to wireless charging a phone (*).

* ok, maybe a little different.
    Yay, just what need - all the roads dug up for years on end.

That said, that level of disruption is probably needed to make a decent level of change

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    The solution is simple - just build an induction charging network into our roads - no different to wireless charging a phone (*).

* ok, maybe a little different.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It must be battery powered transport, this way we can disable all of it on Earth when the imminent invasion begins.

HTH

I for one welcome our new sciurus overlords

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Didn't read the article but I'll take the 5% as a real number. Should be a solvable problem though.

There are other products with quite high recycle rates because there was programs introduced to incentive recycling. It's a solvable problem that's been solved for other products... But if 5% is a real number then yeah it needs to be tackled.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    Prefer the Evanescence one myself
    The Nirvana one brings back more memories for me....

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Lithium...

Mmmm I know a song about that.

Nirvana - Lithium - YouTube
    Prefer the Evanescence one myself

Leave a comment:

Working...
X