• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How forthcoming are you required to be to the police?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How forthcoming are you required to be to the police?

Under current rules non-essential travel can be legally enforced/fined. This potentially means you are at the mercy of some local copper who takes it into their mind to decide what is essential, we've already seen our council licking their lips at the unprecedented level of control

So if an officer asks you what you're doing, what are you required to say? Rather than explain which shop you're going to for what, etc, etc, can you simply answer "I'm off to buy essential supplies" or "I'm providing support to vulnerable people"? Is that sufficient or can they insist you go into detail?
    I've never really had any dealings with the police but I don't want to be bickering to defend the 12 bottles of red I bought from Oddbins, etc Neither do I want to be rude or seem suspicious, I just want to be firm and polite and not volunteer more than I need.

You lot are obstinate and hate authority, so you can probably offer advice.
    Last edited by d000hg; 30 March 2020, 14:28.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

stay at home.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Under current rules non-essential travel can be legally enforced/fined. This potentially means you are at the mercy of some local copper who takes it into their mind to decide what is essential, we've already seen our council licking their lips at the unprecedented level of control

So if an officer asks you what you're doing, what are you required to say? Rather than explain which shop you're going to for what, etc, etc, can you simply answer "I'm off to buy essential supplies" or "I'm providing support to vulnerable people"? Is that sufficient or can they insist you go into detail?
      I've never really had any dealings with the police but I don't want to be bickering to defend the 12 bottles of red I bought from Oddbins, etc Neither do I want to be rude or seem suspicious, I just want to be firm and polite and not volunteer more than I need.

You lot are obstinate and hate authority, so you can probably offer advice.
      Tell them you're off to the donut shop, they'll understand
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Tell them you're off to the donut shop, they'll understand
        No, that's CID.

Kebab shop for beat cops

Comment

Only criminals have a problem.

But stay at home, for the sake of everyone else's health.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I would start with something short and factual, like "Going to [insert supermarket name here]" and then if they enquire further then you need to decide how much detail to divulge.

If pushed, have a sob story ready and get your phone out to record the interaction for posting on social meedja.

Comment

There's a website that sets out your rights - google 'police stop and search - what are your rights?', you'll find stuff there.

those sites might even be updated to reflect current rules.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                No, that's CID.

Kebab shop for beat cops
                We'll that's legal too. Sort of. How is going to get a kebab from the takeaway "essential travel"? But the shop is still open.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I would start with something short and factual, like "Going to [insert supermarket name here]" and then if they enquire further then you need to decide how much detail to divulge.

If pushed, have a sob story ready and get your phone out to record the interaction for posting on social meedja.
                  I'm not going to lie, clearly that's the easy option "I'm going to Tesco".

Has anyone seen police enforcing this stuff locally? We've had posters put up on footpaths but we hardly ever get a police car in the village even in peacetime, mores the pity with groups of kids burning bins and so on!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

There are reports coming in from around the country that the police trying to enforce "guidance" that bears little resemblance to the actual law. Quelle surprise. But, and having said that, just stay at home.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X