• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Retire" early...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    This holds true for me.

I took up walking when I retired, got into it and took a qualification as a walking guide and now am training to walk across Scotland next year and possibly Spain the year after.

The worst bit of advice I have ever read said that if you don’t do something before you retire, you won’t do it after which is absolute b0llacks in my opinion. Retirement is the perfect time to try out new interests (if you have your health). Walking isn’t expensive when you start out, you just have to avoid becoming a gear-head.
    How's the painting? Do you still dabble?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Why not join some groups for things that interest you, or get involved in some volunteering? If you like pubs, start spending a few hours a week in the pub of your choice with the kinds of people you're comfortable around - you'll soon get chatting to the regulars.

When/if I retire, hopefully within the next 6-10 years, I have no plans to sit on my @rse watching daytime TV and moping all day - I'll do stuff I wasn't able to fit in when I was working 50-60 hours a week. Day trips out, travelling, volunteering with local or national charities, hobbies, going to music festivals, fixing all those things around the house I never had time for before. Plus a reasonable amount of sitting on my @rse at home reading or listening to music etc.
      spoons it is!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When I retire, I'll have more time to moderate this place.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

How's the painting? Do you still dabble?
          Yes I do, not quite a much as I used to but I still do. I’ve stopped posting my paintings for some reason (just not taken photos of them) so I’ll put them up again.

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Our options are somewhat limited by SWMBO's rheumatoid arthritis ruling out a lot of activity based options. Even visiting places in the motorhome has its limitations (although we still do it, usually on a day on day off basis so she can recover!).

But among other hobbies and pursuits SWMBO and I started volunteering as room guides at a local National Trust property. We discovered it is a really fulfilling role; the history of the property embraces two families over 850 years and a host of interesting artifacts. Seven years on and we not only know the families in some detail as well as a wealth of social history stuff (all helps to bring the place to life for the visitors), we find it a genuinely interesting and pleasurable experience. Talking to guides at other houses, it is a common theme; you get really involved with the history of your property.

It's not for everyone, but it is something to consider.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              ...(currently appearing in one panto...
              Oh no you're not!

Well, probably not now, since the post was in February.

Anyway, I've no plans to retire.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                SWMBO and I started volunteering as room guides at a local National Trust property. We discovered it is a really fulfilling role; the history of the property embraces two families over 850 years and a host of interesting artifacts. Seven years on and we not only know the families in some detail as well as a wealth of social history stuff (all helps to bring the place to life for the visitors), we find it a genuinely interesting and pleasurable experience. Talking to guides at other houses, it is a common theme; you get really involved with the history of your property.
                My late father did this at St. Michael's Mount for a while with a mate. From what I recall they had a great time.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When you find a *career you love you'll never work a day in your life.

* Or a fully remote high paid contract

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Oh no you're not!

Well, probably not now, since the post was in February.

Anyway, I've no plans to retire.
                    I was. I'm now rehearsing a small but important role Sister Act. All go, innit!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                      When you find a *career you love you'll never work a day in your life.

* Or a fully remote high paid contract
                      This is somewhat a fallacy, I think. Because for many people, turning their hobby into a career is a way to ruin it. No matter what it is, when it's your job you have to do it even on the days you don't feel like it.
                      Quite a lot of sports-people don't enjoy their sport, or at least not always. We've seen a lot of big YouTubers, who generally got a career by accident out of something they literally did as a fun hobby, quitting because the relentless nature of it as a job takes the joy out of it.

A job you take satisfaction in is great. But if there's something you really love, I'm not sure doing it as your livelihood IS the best idea if you are relying on it to feed your family.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X