• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A revolution in the UK is changing TV channels from the couch. A DFS couch that's still to be paid off.

Revolution, ha! MP's know it'll never happen. What country do you think you're in, France?
    No, but could quite conceivably be a democratic revolution at the next election. One of the things that came out of the vote is that a large proportion of the electorate no longer blindly follow the party line. If brexit is fudged or even seem to be fudged then it only takes two thirds of those who voted for it to get behind UKIP and we're really up the spout.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      No, but could quite conceivably be a democratic revolution at the next election. One of the things that came out of the vote is that a large proportion of the electorate no longer blindly follow the party line. If brexit is fudged or even seem to be fudged then it only takes two thirds of those who voted for it to get behind UKIP and we're really up the spout.
      UKIP is effectively dead.

Ukip was in a death spiral well before Steven Woolfe quit. Is there anyone left who can save it? 

Comment

I'm sure that's got the career politicians shaking in their boots.

It's becoming clear Wrexit is going to get kicked into the long grass. A few years will pass, apathy will strengthen its grip and life shall return to normal.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Where does a new party need to go, though, in order to get votes? By that, I mean, what should their leaning be, who should they appeal to?

Sound economic policy is a must; something which kills the Greens off time after time because they haven't a clue how to fund all the lovely, idealistic policies that many of us would probably want in a money-no-object world.

Whose votes should they seek to capture and how? Do we need to stop thinking in the traditional terms of a left to right sliding scale? Do we need a party of realists that simply campaign from a position of practicality in terms of where we are? The problem is, that could all come crumbling with Article 50 invoked; two strategies need devising then - one to account for Brexit, one for Bremain. This is where Cameron cocked up. He led the Bremain campaign badly; rather than falling on his own sword, he should have seized the opportunity to get better terms from the EU, given that he had a mandate from the populace to leave if he couldn't.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

One definite good thing to come out of Brexit is getting rid of UKIP.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Why?
              I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I'm sure that's got the career politicians shaking in their boots.

It's becoming clear Wrexit is going to get kicked into the long grass. A few years will pass, apathy will strengthen its grip and life shall return to normal.
                I was in a pub in one of these left behind tulipholes at the weekend (Featherstone nr Pontefract), and the overwhelming feeling was that the politicians had better deliver. Trust me there is not much apathy where this is concerned, they don't care about being poorer as most are that poor anyway. Remember Ed Balls, he stooped listening to the local people and paid the price, I was one of them. The referendum has in some ways reignited an interest in voting for something a lot of people care about. The liberal elite stopped listening and now we have Brexit.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Cameron ... should have seized the opportunity to get better terms from the EU, given that he had a mandate from the populace to leave if he couldn't.
                  He tried that. They told him to feck off.

He didn't believe we'd vote to leave, nor did they. That didn't go so well for them, did it?

Comment

I was in a pub in one of these left behind tulipholes at the weekend (Featherstone nr Pontefract), and the overwhelming feeling was that the politicians had better deliver. Trust me there is not much apathy where this is concerned, they don't care about being poorer as most are that poor anyway. Remember Ed Balls, he stooped listening to the local people and paid the price, I was one of them. The referendum has in some ways reignited an interest in voting for something a lot of people care about. The liberal elite stopped listening and now we have Brexit.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well I'll take me hat off (should I wear one) when that day happens. Bluff and bluster is all the electorate seems to be capable of.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X