• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Do you really think Labour would do anything to force a GE right now? They're 17 points behind in the polls. Many of them are in constituencies that voted to leave. They'd almost be as irrelevant as the Lib Dems under an overwhelming Conservative majority.

I think the country largely "gets it". We voted to leave, now whether that's what you voted for or not, we need to get on with the process of leaving.
    I rather think parliament would vote to go ahead with Article 50 - but the vote should still occur. What we might see is parliament putting conditions on triggering Article 50 in terms of parliamentary oversight of the negotiation process.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The great repeal act will easily get through, the problem will come when the government needs to get legislation through for its "Hard Brexit", because until then EU law remains British law. That could easily be thwarted, and then the UK will end up "half stuck" in the EU.

Precisely what legislation is needed for "hard Brexit"? What is the mechanism by which we remain "stuck" at the end of A50? Again, you're confused about the extent of parliamentary power, because the default position is to exit on WTO terms.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Precisely what legislation is needed for "hard Brexit"? What is the mechanism by which we remain "stuck" at the end of A50? Again, you're confused about the extent of parliamentary power, because the default position is to exit on WTO terms.
        The EU has made it clear that if the UK respects the 4 freedoms they will have access to the single market. If the UK doesn't enact anything that contravene's that why would the EU not allow continued access ?

It's pretty clear if at the end of 2 years the UK wasn't enacting "Hard Brexit" that an interim agreement would be struck to continue as before, maybe with a few restrictions. The only certain thing about article 50 is that the UK won't formally be a member.

The repeal act in it's current form, formally taking over EU law into British law means the default is effectively "Soft Brexit".

I'm alright Jack

Comment

No it isn't, it is a pragmatic step by step approach to unpicking 50 years worth of EU laws.
          I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
            No it isn't, it is a pragmatic step by step approach to unpicking 50 years worth of EU laws.
            and what happens if you don't get a parliamentary majority to change any of those laws ?

What does that mean?
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

It means they remain as they are. There will be some that we can determine though, even in the very worst case scenario. And we are freed from further impositions of EU law.
              I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
                It means they remain as they are. There will be some that we can determine though, even in the very worst case scenario. And we are freed from further impositions of EU law.
                Yes but it also means that European law and British law will be identical at the point of exit and hence the UK will automatically fulfill all conditions to gain access to the single market.

Hard Brexit will require changes to those laws, in particular the freedom of movement of EU citizens, and that requires a parliamentary majority.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Yes but it also means that European law and British law will be identical at the point of exit and hence the UK will automatically fulfill all conditions to gain access to the single market.

Hard Brexit will require changes to those laws, in particular the freedom of movement of EU citizens, and that requires a parliamentary majority.
                  True which means the Government ignore the will of the people.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Not at all. The will of the people was to exit, there was no referendum on what the terms of exit are.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      The will of the people is to leave the European Union and that we will do.

Just a reminder:

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X