• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...we hurt more.
    It wasn't a question of who comes off worse, just that both parties would and it's in neithers interest.

It is also somewhat silly to say that German cars aren't price sensitive. Your suggested 10% might be too bigger difference for the public to swallow and would certainly make business think twice.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      It wasn't a question of who comes off worse, just that both parties would and it's in neithers interest.
      It is also somewhat silly to say that German cars aren't price sensitive. Your suggested 10% might be too bigger difference for the public to swallow and would certainly make business think twice.
      In the mid-range, bland-box market, 10% would certainly be too high for British exports.
      Europeans switching away from British cars to European ones would almost certainly make up for British consumers switching away from European. (500 million versus 60 million)
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh and plus if I was Mr. Tata and 10% was the tariff on Jag/Land Rovers I would simply switch production to my large shiny new plant in Slovakia. I'm guessing that's why he built in the first place. To have options.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Obviously a spat with the EU will hurt the UK far more than any EU country.

Germany is the main exporter to the UK and approx. 10% of Germany's exports go to the UK, in contrast almost half of Britain's exports go to the UK.

If trade were to stop completely between the EU and the UK, the UK would lose half of it's exports and Germany would lose 10% of it's exports.

Guess who is in the the weaker negotiating position (hint it begins with U)
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Germany is the main exporter to the UK and approx. 10% of Germany's exports go to the UK, in contrast almost half of Britain's exports go to the UK.

If trade were to stop completely between the EU and the UK, UK would lose half of it's exports and Germany would lose 10% of it's exports.

Guess who is in the the weaker negotiating position ...
            You might have to repeat that. Seems it takes a while to penetrate some noggins.
            I blame the standard of recent maths teaching.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

In the mid-range, bland-box market, 10% would certainly be too high for British exports.
              Europeans switching away from British cars to European ones would almost certainly make up for British consumers switching away from European. (500 million versus 60 million)
              This is getting daft. Europeans wouldn't just make up for falling UK sales - it's not as if the cars had become cheaper within the EU so why the boost in sales especially to those in the mid-range price bracket? And you well know it's not as if the purchasing power of the 500 million is identical to the 60 million UK residents.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If trade were to stop completely between the EU and the UK, the UK would lose half of it's exports and Germany would lose 10% of it's exports.

Guess who is in the the weaker negotiating position (hint it begins with U)
                But neither option would ever be on the table. Germany wouldn't just say we'll take a 10% loss on the nose just because the UK's position would be worse. Bit like saying I'll cut my hand off, but that's fine because you've lost both legs. What's the obvious thing to do that won't hurt either party? No clues required.

Comment

And you well know it's not as if the purchasing power of the 500 million is identical to the 60 million UK residents.
                  Indeed. That, however, is an inconvenient truth that the Bremoaners skirt around all too readily.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

And you well know it's not as if the purchasing power of the 500 million is identical to the 60 million UK residents.
                    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Indeed. That, however, is an inconvenient truth that the Bremoaners skirt around all too readily.
                    Feck me.
                    You two cretins seriously believe that Britain's buying power is more than the rest of Europe put together?
                    And there, ladies and gents, you have the basic, fundamental misunderstanding at the root of Brexit: a total overestimation of British economic strength.

There's really no point in continuing this conversation if you're so delusional.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Feck me.
                      You two cretins seriously believe that Britain's buying power is more than the rest of Europe put together?
                      And there, ladies and gents, you have the basic, fundamental misunderstanding at the root of Brexit: a total overestimation of British economic strength.

There's really no point in continuing this conversation if you're so delusional.

Except that's not what they are saying. What they are saying is:

If you create a situation where "party A" is £1000 worse off and "party B" is £1500 worse off then nobody has won. Party A won't be skipping around, happy because he has done relatively better than party B. He is still worse off.

Also : This 500M figure that keeps getting banded about. It's 500M including the 65M UK citizens. Obviously come Brexit it will be only 435M.

Comment

Working...
                      X