• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Spot on young man. It costs more to get a cup of tea and a sarnie on Ryanair flight. And having just been to Spain, they didn't ask for any payment at all.
    More Bremoaner shreiking about nothing whilst the UK economy goes from strength to strength.

Comment

No Brexit today! Here's some...

"We'll get back to you once we've decided what you voted for" - David Davis
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Ah poor DD, finally starting to understand just how difficult and complicated all this really is.

Brexit talks may be most complicated negotiation ever, says minister | Politics | The Guardian

I find this quite interesting..

In the face of warnings from countries such as the US and Japan about the impact on their companies investing in the UK, Davis said he would be going to businessmen to ask scientific questions, such as: “Can you please quantify this for me? Can you quantify the effect of a non-tariff barrier versus a tariff barrier? Which of this matters? Everyone will say their issues matter the most and I need to get some numbers on it.”...

So DD is admitting he does not actually have a clue what would be impact on UK business if we loose tariff free trade with the EU, yet the Brexiters were quite happy to say WTO based trading would be absolutely fine.

Comment

If we end up with tariffs on things, like CPU's, we can just build our own, the British way!

Megaprocessor

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
            Ah poor DD, finally starting to understand just how difficult and complicated all this really is.

Brexit talks may be most complicated negotiation ever, says minister | Politics | The Guardian

In the face of warnings from countries such as the US and Japan about the impact on their companies investing in the UK, Davis said he would be going to businessmen to ask scientific questions, such as: “Can you please quantify this for me? Can you quantify the effect of a non-tariff barrier versus a tariff barrier? Which of this matters? Everyone will say their issues matter the most and I need to get some numbers on it.”...

So DD is admitting he does not actually have a clue what would be impact on UK business if we loose tariff free trade with the EU, yet the Brexiters were quite happy to say WTO based trading would be absolutely fine.
            You talk as if it is some sort privilege for the UK to be permitted to trade with other countries. Does it occur to you that trade works both ways and that the UK is a net importer rather than exporter. It is a bit like "tax as a punishment" the prism you look at Brexit is as if the UK needs to be punished as if simply to prove people like you right.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              You talk as if it is some sort privilege for the UK to be permitted to trade with other countries. Does it occur to you that trade works both ways and that the UK is a net importer rather than exporter. It is a bit like "tax as a punishment" the prism you look at Brexit is as if the UK needs to be punished as if simply to prove people like you right.
              I've been waiting for months for it to penetrate your thick skull that the UK is a net EXPORTER of services which is 80% of our economy. At some point it may get through, but I wont be holding my breath.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post

I think he's had enough of people saying it will be really bad but not actually stating why. What he wants is some hard facts e.g. if there is a 6% tariff on our goods to the EU then we will lose x orders and xy jobs will go. All we have to date are a few clueless tin hat muppets saying the sky will fall in and being proved wrong.

It would be nice if the Remnants could come up with something meaningful for once. And truthful, although that's where they struggle.

Comment

Once again you spout the usual Brexiter nonsense. Where have I said anything about the UK needing to be punished? The problem with so many of your Brexit lunatics is that your are totally blind to FACTS. I deal in facts not emotions. The FACT is it will be extremely complicated for the UK to extracted itself from the EU and stand on it's own as an independent trading nation again. Of course it will do it, it has to as that's what the people have voted for, but it's going to be a LOT more painful and complicated than the simplistic nonsense people like you and the other Brexit brainless fringe have been spouting.

How can you not be at least just a bit worried, when a senior Brexiter like DD, is only now asking business what would be the effects of loosing non-tariff trade? Like really dude? You never thought to ask that of business before the vote.

I leave you with this little extract from Richard North. You and your fellow 'Patriots' really should check out his website. He's about the only person talking any sense at the moment, but somehow I get the feeling that fact based write ups are not really your thing.

...If there is one thing on which more clued-up observers agree – as distinct from that strange new "lunatic fringe" alliance between too many senior Tories and Jeremy Corbyn – it is that, on leaving the EU, we must nevertheless remain in the Single Market.

In fact, leaving it would be far more disastrous than is generally realised, because one of the countless technicalities to which the lunatic fringe are oblivious is that in recent years there has been a revolution in the way international trade is organised.

Since the major disruption to trade caused by 9/11, a wholly new system has been emerging, under the auspices of the World Customs Organisation, designed both to improve security and to facilitate global trade.

To prevent crippling delays, cross-border traders sign up to become "Authorised Economic Operators" (AEOs). This enables them among other things to file all their necessary documentation electronically in advance. It also allows for "mutual recognition" between customs authorities, so that goods can simply be waved through at their destinations, instead of causing 20-mile tailbacks while they are inspected.

But Britain is only part of this global system by virtue of its membership of the EU, which as in all other trade matters, signed the agreements on our behalf. This was why that report from the Japanese foreign ministry warned that we cannot afford to drop out of the single market. ...

Comment

Import our way to prosperity, yeah baby!
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I suspect that the trade in goods is the least of our worries.
                      Trade will continue after tariffs, especially if the minimum wage is abolished and companies can lower wages to compensate (not what Brexiters voted for but hey ho, that's reality).
                      Or there'll be a reduction of trade and corresponding rise in unemployment.
                      But of course trade in goods won't cease completely.
                      It's services (especially financial) and inward investment, in particular, where the game-changing risk lies.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X