• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You know normally I would say Equalizer and SB are trolling.
    But I have enough experience of CUK to know that what seems to be the most incredible, rankest, stupidity is probably genuine.

Yes dear.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      And surely this would lead to the UK slapping on silly taxes on imports of German cars etc, neither which are in the interest of either party? If the EU were to put up such trade barriers, it's basically turning the EU into an internal market unless, of course, these draconian measures were solely for the UK. As is repeatedly pointed out on this forum, it's not a case of what might happen, it's a case of what is likely to happen ie beneficial for both parties.
      eh, the EU already has trade barriers against non EU nations. I assume you have heard of the CPA? Of course the EU has always been about maximizing trade between its members first and foremost. For over 40 years we've gained from that, now we'll just have to deal with them like every other external nation. It just so happens that over 40% of our exports in goods and services go there

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
        eh, the EU already has trade barriers against non EU nations. I assume you have heard of the CPA? Of course the EU has always been about maximizing trade between its members first and foremost. For over 40 years we've gained from that, now we'll just have to deal with them like every other external nation. It just so happens that over 40% of our exports in goods and services go there
        Are you going to answer my previous questions or are you just coming on to claim the government have just realised the complexity but without telling us the impact in figures?

In other news, SAS demonstrates his usual bias towards the EU being all powerful without thinking about the reality of life.

Would we buy run of the mill German cars with a 10% tariff or would we buy something produced in the UK? Why would I spend an extra £12k tax on a porker. Or why would anyone spend an extra £2 or £3k on an audi or vw when equally good vehicles would be available? The German car manufacturers have already cut hours 'due to brexit' so the idea that they are immune to pricing or our economy is nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Would we buy run of the mill German cars with a 10% tariff or would we buy something produced in the UK? Why would I spend an extra £12k tax on a porker. Or why would anyone spend an extra £2 or £3k on an audi or vw when equally good vehicles would be available? The German car manufacturers have already cut hours 'due to brexit' so the idea that they are immune to pricing or our economy is nonsense.
          Would a car in the UK still be as cheap as one imported with tariffs? I mean, where do the majority of the raw materials used in the building of a car come from? I suspect most of them come from outside of the UK and those from the EU will then have a tariff and those from outside of the EU would be cheaper than home grown products thus not providing much sustenance to local industries...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Are you going to answer my previous questions or are you just coming on to claim the government have just realised the complexity but without telling us the impact in figures?

In other news, SAS demonstrates his usual bias towards the EU being all powerful without thinking about the reality of life.

eh, You Brexit it you own it.
            It's you guys who want to leave the EU, it's you guys that promised the country that the UK would be in very strong position in any talks with the EU and it's you guys that said we should not listen to experts (Quite Ironic that Davies is now running around asking experts for their views). So it's for you Brexiters to go and find out the potential impacts of your folly.

Comment

Nope, I meant per head.
              Incorrect as usual.
              Here's the latest data I could find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

By whatever measure you use, there are plenty of countries in the EU with a higher GDP per head than the UK.
              If we take the 2 most populous, France has roughly the same GDP per head (as you'd expect from economies with a similar size and population) and Germany has a higher one. Austria, Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and surprisingly Ireland are higher on most measures.
              As expected the Latin countries have lower.

I don't understand where you get your ideas of British economic superiority from - unless you're a brainwashed tabloid reader.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If trade were to stop completely between the EU and the UK, the UK would lose half of it's exports and Germany would lose 10% of it's exports.

Guess who is in the the weaker negotiating position (hint it begins with U)
                So you disagree with BB's figures?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Incorrect as usual.
                  Here's the latest data I could find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

By whatever measure you use, there are plenty of countries in the EU with a higher GDP per head than the UK.
                  If we take the 2 most populous, France has roughly the same GDP per head (as you'd expect from economies with a similar size and population) and Germany has a higher one. Austria, Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and surprisingly Ireland are higher on most measures.
                  As expected the Latin countries have lower.

I don't understand where you get your ideas of British economic superiority from - unless you're a brainwashed tabloid reader.
                  Nope, again. The point I was making was your 500 vs 65 million figure was you pulling incorrect figures out of thin air. As already stated that 500 million includes the UK, however, as you've kindly observed, a good percentage of that 500 million have lower (in some cases far lower) GDP than the UK.

As an aside, I was in a pub in Tunbridge Wells last Sunday. Some posh chap - and I mean proper posh - decided to join us. He was quite opinionated to start with and this grew in parallel with his consumption of beer and spirits. As I sat there, you briefly came to mind; although only baseless arrogance.

Comment

As an aside, I was in a pub in Tunbridge Wells last Sunday. Some posh chap - and I mean proper posh - decided to join us. He was quite opinionated to start with and this grew in parallel with his consumption of beer and spirits. As I sat there, you briefly came to mind; although only baseless arrogance.
                    Sounds more like your Nigel
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Nope, again. The point I was making was your 500 vs 65 million figure was you pulling incorrect figures out of thin air. As already stated that 500 million includes the UK, however, as you've kindly observed, a good percentage of that 500 million have lower (in some cases far lower) GDP than the UK.

Hope it was, thinking of SAS out of the context of being logged on to this forum .

You should be ashamed of yourself, next time you will admit to dreaming about him
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X