• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Its not as if the UK hasn't been the US'es bitch before
    Preferable to allying with the Germans
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
      Given that WW2 ended 71 years ago the youngest people that fought in that conflict would be in their late eighties. How do explain the 65 year olds who weren't even born then?
      Probably because their parents or relatives fought and died
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Er no. It's due to the fact that the US wouldn't back down on or discuss 27 of the outstanding aspects of the treaty which Europe didn't like, in particular those where corporations basically have the right to sue a country if they don't get their way (to put it in a nutshell) plus those protecting the rights of agriculture and other European industries in dealing with the US. The UK was one of the biggest fans of TTIP but now they are no longer involved then the US is finding it harder to have a voice in the negotiations but if the UK wants it's own TTIP then feel free. Its not as if the UK hasn't been the US'es bitch before
        The UK wasn't one of its greatest fans.

Even so, good to see you admit the EU is useless to other trading areas without the UK. I thought you had always stated the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          I think you're making that up. How many people did you speak to? Any at all.

As for your analysis of who voted to leave, do a search on google before you post and find out what the real leave demographic was.
          Probably about 20. With my Scottish accent people were keen to know what I thought of Bolton itself. I've never been somewhere where the locals are so negative about a place that any negativity I spout is undercut by their own. Their target during conversation was foreigners. Where I currently live even if somebody thought foreigners were to blame (read: they're not) then they wouldn't divulge this to a stranger. If you've ever been to Bolton you'll realise the main high streets are mostly just white faces in ye olde English pubs and conservative clubs. The attitude surprised me, until I wandered around the town and realised what a dung heap it was. They're living in the past.

I'm a talker and quite happy to engage with people. I didn't imagine the above. Try engaging with people with your voice, rather than typing all day. You may find your experience of life changes, which may lead you to being more informed.
          Last edited by dundeedude; 29 August 2016, 11:21.
          In possession of faculties. Almost.

Comment

Originally posted by dundeedude View Post
            Try engaging with people with your voice, rather than typing all day. You may find your experience of life changes, which may lead you to jump to strange conclusions based solely on a tiny amount of anecdotal evidence in much the way I do.
            ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Probably about 20. With my Scottish accent people were keen to know what I thought of Bolton itself. I've never been somewhere where the locals are so negative about a place that any negativity I spout is undercut by their own. Their target during conversation was foreigners. Where I currently live even if somebody thought foreigners were to blame (read: they're not) then they wouldn't divulge this to a stranger. If you've ever been to Bolton you'll realise the main high streets are mostly just white faces in ye olde English pubs and conservative clubs. The attitude surprised me, until I wandered around the town and realised what a dung heap it was. They're living in the past.

I'm a talker and quite happy to engage with people. I didn't imagine the above. Try engaging with people with your voice, rather than typing all day. You may find your experience of life changes, which may lead you to being more informed.
              If you bothered to ask the white working class why they are anti immigration I think you will find it is they who have had to accommodate the migrants and their customs over the years. It is their low level jobs and trades that migrants are competing with (not IT jobs) and it is they and their children that have to compete for housing, schools and healthcare. They are not encroaching on the affluent middle classes with their private health and nice middle class schools and nor are they competing with little Sebastian fresh out of UNI applying for jobs at Accenture, Goldman Sachs, Freshfield, marks and Spencer etc etc. For people like you to smear them as racists when all they are doing is acting out of self interest shows what hypocrites you are.

Comment

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Council/Dat...estimates.aspx

Since 2001, the population of Wigan Borough has increased by 6.5%. However, most of this increase has taken place in the 65+ age group that has increased by about a third. The under 65 population has remained fairly stable with an increase of only 2%. Therefore, it is likely that the main reason for the population increase is the increasing life expectancy within the Borough. Net migration and changes in the birth rate have only had a minor effect.
                Which is pretty typical of most areas voting strongly in favour of Brexit.

i.e. dissatisfaction of an aging population that need immigrants just to support the increasing number of OAPs.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 August 2016, 12:01.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I was in Manchester the penultimate week prior to the referendum and in bolton for three days prior to it. I can assure you that people I spoke to seemed very keen on both the bus messages and "sending the foreigners back". Most worrying was the fact people were so vocal about it. Being on business I was eating out every meal and the amount of racist crap floating about was terrifying. Extrapolate Bolton to other 'traditional' northern English towns and it's easy to see people were urging on the xenophobia.

If you're worth your salt as a contractor on this forum your immediate neighbours won't necessarily be in this group, but in a normal estate with £65k houses galore it can only be presumed that these have a fair number of racists within it. Rich people benefitted from the EU - and I include contractors in this guesstimate. It was the poor and disenfranchised who voted en mass to leave.
                  I'm from Bolton and agree with this!

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eferendum.html

In the mail so must be true.

Comment

Brexit

Bored now, even I can't be bothered to post/talk about it anymore.

Wake me up in five years when something interesting may have happened (I doubt it though).

Comment

Working...
                      X