• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Spent most of it working in Japan.
    You missed nothing. Except the Express headline which said 2 days ago "Brexit WILL be a success".
    So that's alright then.
    Even the fooking tulipty Guardian isn't talking about it.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

    Comment


      Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I didn't run any campaign. I read the literature and saw through the lies of the £350 million for the NHS, the power of unelected civil servants etc, and realised that if the referendum went the way of Brexit, they would quickly have to retract or hide all the promises/pledges they made and hope that their Daily Mail reading supporters would forget it quickly.


      Defeat was accepted, but the group who supported exiting the EU have done nothing to bring the exit about. You're happy to complain (incessantly) about "bremoaners", and claim that anything positive which has happened in the last 2 months is because of Brexit.
      As yet, Brexit has not happened.
      Nothing has changed.
      Until it starts to happen all these claims about the nirvana we are now living in are just plain false.


      As for "Project Fear", let me quote from the Brexit website...
      "If we vote to stay in the EU...
      1. The EU will cost us more and more (along side a graphic of people moving to the UK)
      2. Immigration will continue to be out of control (graphic of barbed wire with people crawling through it)
      3. We'll have to keep bailing out the Euro
      4. The European Court will still be in charge of our laws"


      Point 1 is false/unproven (but a good bit of fear mongering)
      Point 2 is nothing to do with Britain being in or out of the EU. The "Leave" claim was not specifically about the EU, but who cares, Nigel Farage can use the pictures Hitler used and it will appeal to his supporters.
      Point 3 is false (but a good bit of fear mongering) https://fullfact.org/europe/will-uk-...zone-bailouts/
      Point 4 is false (but a good bit of fear mongering) - click on "Click here for more claims" https://fullfact.org/europe/vote-lea...eaflet-eu-law/
      Very well said!

      It is indeed strange to see the Brexit folks trying to claim that any positive economic news is proof they were right, when said economic news is occurring against a backdrop of us being full EU members, and the govt yet to invoke article 50. Indeed it could be argued that any positive economic news is further proof of why we should stay in the single market.

      In any event, as I've said before, the real fun will come next year when (if) article 50 finally get's invoked and the talks finally get underway.

      BTW, as I've said before, there is a very strong possibility of a global stock market correction over the next few weeks. I hope all the Brexit chaps who are currently cheering 'FTSE hits new highs' will be ready for the invertible attacks from the Remain side when the FTSE corrects. Both sides will be wrong of course as these moves have sweet FA to do with Brexit one way or the other, but it does make for good banter.

      Comment


        Originally posted by sirja View Post
        Both sides will be wrong of course as these moves have sweet FA to do with Brexit one way or the other, but it does make for good banter.
        I disagree that the stock market rises have NOTHING to do with Brexit.
        They've risen as a direct result of (1) QE, following Brexit, by various central banks and (2) the lowering of interest rates.
        The resultant fall in yields in money accounts and bonds means there is nowhere for money to go to but stocks.
        However this is a sign of long-term weakness rather than strength.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

        Comment


          Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
          No that was the state in July, things have moved on considerably since then I am sorry to inform you. Have you missed August?

          Boris now has a front seat in negotiations, for better or worse.
          I must have missed that while I was on my hols. Sounds like fun.

          Comment


            Brexit good news for contractors

            Hattrick Software » Banks and Brexit

            Remainers need not apply



            The result of the UK referendum on its association with Europe has come as a surprise to many, and an anticipated outcome to a few. Whichever camp in which you reside, in both the wholesale and retail banking sectors, IT systems will need to be modified, and processes and procedures adapted to accommodate the inevitable legislative changes to follow.

            This will require comprehensive assessment of existing architecture. Systems will need to be unambiguously re-documented to enable changes to be introduced against a legislative are regulatory environment that is, at best, “in flux”. Proposed system changes will need to be accurately assessed for unintended consequences against a range of possible outcomes, each of which has the potential to result from multiple UK and EU negotiation scenarios.

            For banks both within the UK and the EU member states, post the UK exit, trading platforms may need to be modified to encompass entirely new compliance systems to account for UK variations. This may extend to the granular detail of each customer account. Clients may require multiple ID numbers for different types of transactions: those that are negotiated, executed, settled and contained solely within EU borders, those that may be solely UK-contained, those that contain elements of both, those that originate in Europe but settle elsewhere in the world, and so on. This, in turn, may result in additional pressure being exerted on already over-extended post-trade processing platforms.

            Extending this thought to a more macro overview of industry’s existing infrastructure, EU harmonisation initiatives associated with more broad ranging considerations such as data privacy and cyber security are now in question. The entire industry is now potentially exposed to significantly more complex considerations around data retention, data containment within geographical boundaries, data usage and transmission within the EU, data usage and transmission from within to outside EU boundaries, and so forth. Entirely new systems and procedures may need to be implemented to manage this.

            Irrespective of the outcome of the UK exit, those organisations with a complete and unambiguous description of their existing architecture, rendered in a format of meaning to IT uses yet able to be understood by business consumers, will be significantly better placed those that fail to render their systems as such. Whilst Europe transitions from the UK being “in” to the UK being “out” those organisations that maximise the opportunities presented by this period of change will be able to use technology to accelerate revenues at the expense of their competitors. Being able to react pro-actively to the inevitable changes to follow from the UK exit from Europe is more than “just another” system modification requirement, it could well be essential to the longer term survival of the organisation itself.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

            Comment


              Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I didn't run any campaign. I read the literature and saw through the lies of the £350 million for the NHS, the power of unelected civil servants etc, and realised that if the referendum went the way of Brexit, they would quickly have to retract or hide all the promises/pledges they made and hope that their Daily Mail reading supporters would forget it quickly.


              Defeat was accepted, but the group who supported exiting the EU have done nothing to bring the exit about. You're happy to complain (incessantly) about "bremoaners", and claim that anything positive which has happened in the last 2 months is because of Brexit.
              As yet, Brexit has not happened.
              Nothing has changed.
              Until it starts to happen all these claims about the nirvana we are now living in are just plain false.


              As for "Project Fear", let me quote from the Brexit website...
              "If we vote to stay in the EU...
              1. The EU will cost us more and more (along side a graphic of people moving to the UK)
              2. Immigration will continue to be out of control (graphic of barbed wire with people crawling through it)
              3. We'll have to keep bailing out the Euro
              4. The European Court will still be in charge of our laws"


              Point 1 is false/unproven (but a good bit of fear mongering)
              Point 2 is nothing to do with Britain being in or out of the EU. The "Leave" claim was not specifically about the EU, but who cares, Nigel Farage can use the pictures Hitler used and it will appeal to his supporters.
              Point 3 is false (but a good bit of fear mongering) https://fullfact.org/europe/will-uk-...zone-bailouts/
              Point 4 is false (but a good bit of fear mongering) - click on "Click here for more claims" https://fullfact.org/europe/vote-lea...eaflet-eu-law/
              You don't half spout some nonsense.

              There was never any promise of £350m for the NHS so you can't have seen through one. Your constant lies about that makes you look more and more stupid.

              The beaurocrats are unelected by the people of the system we wish to leave because the system doesn't work and is undemocratic. It's the political equivalent if fifa. Whoever promises the most cash to a country gets the votes. It is corrupt. We cannot unelect Juncker whereas we can unelected May. Are you too stupid to understand the difference?

              Farage wasn't even part of the official team so no one cares about his rancid posters.

              The original claim was we were sending the EU £350m / week. The latest ONS figure is £375m. Yes, we get some back but the EU decides where it goes, not us.

              65% of recent laws come from the EU. Yes I know remain claimed it was 13% and I'm sure if you go back to 1610 and clock them all up it will be that percentage. You may have noticed the EU requesting a large sum of back tax from Apple recently. You will also have noticed that the Irish government stated it wasn't due and all tax had been paid. The EU Commission unilaterally overruled that position. Are you seriously claiming the EU Commission doesn't make laws?

              Project fear:
              Sterling down 30% - currently down around 8%
              Stock market collapse.........ermmmm
              Every household loses £4380 a year
              Immediate emergency budget with increase in basic rate of tax.

              If you treated your partner in the same way then you could now be arrested.

              And all the above is after the government wasted £9m on remain propoganda.

              When the first post Brexit figures were negative all the Remnants came out with glee claiming they were right. Read back through some of the posts on here after the July PMI stats. But now they have reversed it's a case of 'well, we haven't left yet' blah blah tulipe.

              You lot really are pathetic. Read some of the comments from the Independent. The spoilt little gets who can't cope with not having their own way. The self important numpties like Blair who got us into this mess in the first place.

              I'm sure there will be difficult negotiating ahead but we will make our decisions, not some unelected moron in Belgium who doesn't have any of our interests at heart.

              If we genuinely want a socialist government then people can vote Corbyn at the next GE. Oooops, he wants out too.

              Why can't you get it? The EU is a basket case.

              Comment


                Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                Project fear:
                Sterling down 30% - currently down around 8%
                It's 1.32 now, and it should have been 1.60 - down 20% and Brexit has not even started proper.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  You don't half spout some nonsense.

                  There was never any promise of £350m for the NHS so you can't have seen through one. Your constant lies about that makes you look more and more stupid.
                  Promised in posters, on the side of a bus, behind Boris at a news conference. Sounds like a promise to me.


                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  The beaurocrats are unelected by the people of the system we wish to leave because the system doesn't work and is undemocratic. It's the political equivalent if fifa. Whoever promises the most cash to a country gets the votes. It is corrupt. We cannot unelect Juncker whereas we can unelected May. Are you too stupid to understand the difference?
                  So, the UK "Civil Service" and UK "special advisors" - the ones who direct the government on what to do. Who elects and "unelects" them?

                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  Farage wasn't even part of the official team so no one cares about his rancid posters.
                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  65% of recent laws come from the EU.
                  Of your alleged 65%, how many laws were forced upon the UK people without the UK parliament debating them in Westminster first? How many of them were laws that the UK MEPs voted for in the EU?

                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  You may have noticed the EU requesting a large sum of back tax from Apple recently. You will also have noticed that the Irish government stated it wasn't due and all tax had been paid. The EU Commission unilaterally overruled that position. Are you seriously claiming the EU Commission doesn't make laws?
                  I never made such a claim, of course you only work in binary - it's either one thing or the complete opposite - a typical tactic of the Brexit Project Fear campaign. The EU overruled, the Dail and Apple are challenging that.


                  Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  Project fear:
                  Sterling down 30% - currently down around 8%
                  Stock market collapse.........ermmmm
                  Every household loses £4380 a year
                  I've not checked in the last 5 minutes, but it appears we still haven't exited the EU, so many of the post Brexit concerns relate to when/if we finally leave the EU.
                  But since you chose exchange rates, let's pick a currency that isn't the Euro - OK, the Yen. Japan is supposedly collapsing so their currency is getting weaker by the day, except it isn't against sterling. Pre referendum it was 165 yen to the pound. An 8% drop would take it down to 151. 2 weeks ago it was 129.

                  You don't half spout a load of spin that has been forced down you by a bunch of fraudsters. Both sides in the campaign lied. You fell for the lies of one side, but fail to accept that any of them were lies at all. Where's the £350million for the NHS that the Brexit camp promised on posters? Oh yeah, you deny those posters or that promise existed. And you say that I'm the deluded one?
                  {emotionless greeting}

                  Three Word Slogan

                  Comment


                    [Merged]Brexit stuff

                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36040060

                    Nope, doesn't sound like £350million for the NHS at all

                    http://www.joe.co.uk/news/its-becomi...-the-nhs/69306
                    {emotionless greeting}

                    Three Word Slogan

                    Comment


                      Quote Originally Posted by GB9

                      You don't half spout some nonsense.

                      There was never any promise of £350m for the NHS so you can't have seen through one. Your constant lies about that makes you look more and more stupid


                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X