• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best way to lose weight?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low-fat diets and exercise are pointless for losing weight, warns surgical expert 

Man this weight loss thing winds me up! It's not ****ing rocket science people: calories in - calories out = weight gain/loss. Burn more than you eat and you'll lose weight. Eat more than you burn and you put it on. Eat enough and you'll get fat.

Personally I think people put way too much stock into dieting as a way of losing weight because they think it's easier (more convenient?) than exercise, but the truth is that drastic calorie deficit leaves you with less energy making you less active, and causes hunger craving making you more likely to snack. Yes cut down on the full-fat fizzy drinks, syrup-filled lattés, chips, sweets, beer, wine, spirits etc but don't stop them if it helps you live a happy life. Much easier to get off your arse and go for a run/cycle/swim/gym session and burn the calories off. You'll feel better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
      Much easier to get off your arse and go for a run/cycle/swim/gym session and burn the calories off.
      The article advises against that. Though I have found that exercise makes one less likely to consume calories.

Comment

Another piece of advise I heard before is to turn your plate upside down and eat whatever you can fit on there. Which will not help certain posters who will eat the plate....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          The article advises against that. Though I have found that exercise makes one less likely to consume calories.
          Then the article is b***ocks quite frankly. Exercise increases your metabolic rate (how many calories you burn in a normal day), improves circulation, increases muscle mass etc. There is nothing bad about it unless you have some physical limitation which means you can't do certain exercises, but then there are usually alternatives. Swimming is a non-impact sport and only requires that you can avoid drowning yourself - after that, simply moving around in the pool will burn calories perfectly well regardless of your ability level.

Comment

Man this weight loss thing winds me up! It's not ****ing rocket science people: calories in - calories out = weight gain/loss. Burn more than you eat and you'll lose weight. Eat more than you burn and you put it on. Eat enough and you'll get fat.

Personally I think people put way too much stock into dieting as a way of losing weight because they think it's easier (more convenient?) than exercise, but the truth is that drastic calorie deficit leaves you with less energy making you less active, and causes hunger craving making you more likely to snack. Yes cut down on the full-fat fizzy drinks, syrup-filled lattés, chips, sweets, beer, wine, spirits etc but don't stop them if it helps you live a happy life. Much easier to get off your arse and go for a run/cycle/swim/gym session and burn the calories off. You'll feel better for it.
            I have big bones
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Then the article is b***ocks quite frankly. Exercise increases your metabolic rate (how many calories you burn in a normal day), improves circulation, increases muscle mass etc. There is nothing bad about it unless you have some physical limitation which means you can't do certain exercises, but then there are usually alternatives. Swimming is a non-impact sport and only requires that you can avoid drowning yourself - after that, simply moving around in the pool will burn calories perfectly well regardless of your ability level.
              emeritus professor of surgery at Guys Hospital in London - so he deserves to be heard.

He did not say exercise was bad. Only that if you exercise to eat badly than its not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I have big bones
                I heard you had a big bone. Inheritance not composition.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  CWD seems to work quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Death.

Works wonders.
                    Dysentery.

Much the same effect but you get to enjoy the results, assuming it doesn't kill you.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X