• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had a heart attack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    no luck so screwed my defib in there and then.!
    Does that make you look anything like Iron Man ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Does that make you look anything like Iron Man ?
      I'll try and find the photo later...

I remember them doing it - little screen so I couldn't see, I wouldn't have minded at all, I'm not at all squeamish, couldn't feel I thing. Then they wanted to test it - kick like a donkey remember - so with anytime to think they got me to agree to a shot of morphine so they could set it off and I said ok, and wow - morphine, wow - like being perfectly pissed in an instant then sober again in 2 mins, and in that 2 mins they jumpstarted me, never felt a thing!

Comment

Hey MF, hope all goes well ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Not necessarily. One of the cardiologists in the Coronary Care Unit told me that people from the rougher local council estates start coming in with heart attacks in their late thirties. The reason: they start smoking when they're about eight or nine. She reckoned that, just as a rule of thumb, it takes about thirty years in most smokers for the first heart attack to happen. ...
          Well sorry Nick, but that's nonsense.

I've been smoking since I was twelve, and I'm now nearly 60, which means I've been smoking for the better part of 50 years and no sign of ticker trouble yet.

But then I suppose that's the trouble with heart attacks - They tend to whack you when you're least expecting it!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Well sorry Nick, but that's nonsense.

I've been smoking since I was twelve, and I'm now nearly 60, which means I've been smoking for the better part of 50 years and no sign of ticker trouble yet.

But then I suppose that's the trouble with heart attacks - They tend to whack you when you're least expecting it!
            Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            She reckoned that, just as a rule of thumb, it takes about thirty years in most smokers that develop heart disease as a result of smoking for the first heart attack to happen.
            Clarification inserted

Comment

Hope everything is OK.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Comment

Blimey sorry to hear that. As I said to my mate Moley who had his heart attack a few weeks ago well you are ahead of the game you survived your first. Time to give up the fags & bacon. He is skinny fit and only smokes the occasional skinny rolly.

He had a stent fitted and seems much pinker, he is chewing nicorrette and his wife has him on a rabbit inspired diet.

Hope she gets better soon.

I always thought they put them next to the condoms in case you fancied a post coital chew.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hope Mrs MF makes a quick and full recovery.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for input, especially you Nick. (First time, I've completely read one of your posts ;-) )

Very surreal couple of days so far. Mrs MF was admitted to hospital last night

After 3 tests and six hours in A&E, the doctor said it was a heart attack.

"Heart Attack? Nah, it's just some kinds of murmur, or atrial fibulation or angina" I said, "heart attack is a bit melodramatic isn't it'. To which, the doctor cut me back with the words 'Listen, don't try and sound smart by throwing around random heart related words you don't understand, she has had a heart attack, it's serious'. So she was admitted to the cardio recovery unit. And what a sorry place that was. I left about 1am having done a quick trip back and getting a change of clothes & stuff in the meantime. Noisy staff, machines that went ping etc.

Luckily the in-laws drove up at 1.30am and have taken the kids today to the West Country today.

In the morning she phoned to say, that the doctor's had done the second blood test and the damage was not serious. But they needed to do an angiogram & may require a stent. But as it's BH weekend and they were short-staffed, she would have to wait until Tuesday!!!!

When I arrived she was in pieces. She had been placed onto a ward between old age patients with dementia & incontinence who had shouted all night. The old lady in the bed opposite died in the middle of the night.

She was in a complete state, the youngest in the ward, still with chest pains and now so anxious, tired and scared, you do have to wonder what logic there is in having a mixed ward of this kind, plus the thought of sitting there for four days next to a women who seemed to be shouting 'Woolly Mammoth' a lot.

The consultant had come, and subsequently gone in 2 mins, as it's Bank Holiday Friday was never seen again.

So this is where the rub comes. She can't leave until she has an angiogram. They reckon tuesday at the earliest on the NHS as most consultants are off. Only a super Emergency could get one, she is half stable. She had one consultant in the morning who was passing through, her official one is not in. If she get's it, she's mostly out the next day. So the lack of doctors, mean they bed block?!?!?!

Now at the moment we don't have private health care, I cancelled it about 6 years ago when having spent about 2.5k per year on the family for 6 years, when I needed it, they excluded my son, and he landed up on an op on the NHS. So I decided it was a waste of time.

Today I wanted to get the wife out on to a private ward ASAP as where she was, is so bad, and also see if I could her get her the angiogram earlier.

So long story, short. I contacted a private clinic, found the personal number of the consultant who the NHS could not find, got him to come in and do a private consultation, then move her (very late this evening) into the private hospital in her own room, with the 'operation' done first thing in the morning. Of course, it's the same doctor who would do it on Tuesday, but for $$$$ they'll do it early & get her fixed quickly. He was super attentive of course now.

Does make you think though doesn't it. Should Champagne really be sold to those who can afford it over those who can't?
                      Last edited by NotAllThere; 26 March 2016, 09:11. Reason: Fixed formatting for better readability
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X