• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allah Square

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    His book was a bestseller though to be fair.
    He was a ghostwriter at best - get it, get it?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Hotels went mad for it
      So did that bloke Gideon. He got so many he gives them away free now.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        And yet Hitler used Christian faith extensively to justify his actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Adolf_Hitler

Chamberlain was a Unitarian. Even that was a bit racy, imagine if he had been an Atheist.

Neville Chamberlain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

as always if you want a good war then use religion.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So it seems that in the modern world all you need for a war is a fanatical dictator and you're all set. Pity we can't see'em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
            Depends on what part of the world you're in. I certainly wouldn't want them passing laws in keeping with the tenents of the faith. It's bad enough they have prayer in schools in this country already...

And maybe technically not ordered, but there was certainly an incentive provided by the Pope, without which they may not have happened at all.
            UK's head of state and church schools are Protestant. Pope is a Catholic.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Charlie wants to be defender of the faiths

Comment

Pope is a Catholic.
                But does he tulip in the woods?

Comment

Ah, but the Crusades pre-date the Reformation, yes? And yeah the Queen is the head, but the Archbishop of Canterbury does all the heavy-lifting, right?

I'm frankly amazed the head of state is also head of the state religion still. You'd have thought that would cause a problem somewhere along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Ah, but the Crusades pre-date the Reformation, yes? And yeah the Queen is the head, but the Archbishop of Canterbury does all the heavy-lifting, right?

I'm frankly amazed the head of state is also head of the state religion still. You'd have thought that would cause a problem somewhere along the way.
                    what is your obsession with the crusades? Apart from everyone involved being dead centuries ago it was caused by Muslims sealing off Jerusalem. How would Islam act if the Pope's Swiss mercenaries surrounded Mecca and excluded the faithful? I'm pretty sure all the Mullahs would offer 72 grapes for the faithful if they freed Mecca.

Were the Crusades a high point in Christian or Muslim history? No
                    Was the Inquisition a high point in Christian history? No

Do I care? it was centuries ago and I'm not a believer.

Nutters using Islam as cover for chopping people's heads off and throwing Gays off buildings is that a high point in Muslim history? Not unless every reasonable muslim firmly denies support for it and takes their religion back from the nutters and its happening now!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      what is your obsession with the crusades? Apart from everyone involved being dead centuries ago it was caused by Muslims sealing off Jerusalem. How would Islam act if the Pope's Swiss mercenaries surrounded Mecca and excluded the faithful? I'm pretty sure all the Mullahs would offer 72 grapes for the faithful if they freed Mecca.

Were the Crusades a high point in Christian or Muslim history? No
                      Was the Inquisition a high point in Christian history? No

Do I care? it was centuries ago and I'm not a believer.

Nutters using Islam as cover for chopping people's heads off and throwing Gays off buildings is that a high point in Muslim history? Not unless every reasonable muslim firmly denies support for it and takes their religion back from the nutters and its happening now!
                      Who says I'm obsessed? I'm not the one who started this thread or took it in the direction it went in.

Comment

Working...
                      X