• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Allah Square

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Allah Square"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    Why would I? I'm not the one who thinks Islam is evil. I have no interest in visiting Bradford anyway, there's too many Muslims there.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• GideonTheIdiot
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Jihad means struggle, in whatever form that takes. ...
    Buddhism seems quite attractive as a faith by comparison, ...
    Buddhism 101

All Life is Suffering

Attractive or depressing? Judaeo-Christian-Islam all say life is good, an expression of the deity's purpose. Suffering has meaning, stuff is worth fighting for.

Buddhism says the opposite.

Life is meaningless, illusory, purposeless.

Buddhism is explicitly atheist (non-theist ie there is no possibility of an overall order or creation by an independently existing being).

The only "universal" law is Karma or Dependent Origination - you can take this one or leave it, basically, you're only here because of a chain of consequences, break the chain and that's Nirvana (extinction - removal from life that is suffering).

Siddhartha Gottama said he dun this already ages ago ffs before jesus (who did exist but St Paul did his PR) and islam or wotever, so just get on with it start meditation asap.

He would have liked the bit in the Gospels where Jesus says leave your home and family and money and get out in the desert and pray (meditate) until the world ends. He would find absurd the bit where Jesus makes a whip out of asses' tails and whips the money lenders out of the temple grounds - (why doesn't Jesus have compassion for the bankers, they are just doing their job? All anger is simply counter-productive in Buddhism)

Anyway the point is, Buddhism is not as nice as you think it is, and it is interesting to understand why, because it might be right about some things.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Yes, I've got an open invitation to visit Quetta from an old colleague of mine. He says his family will make me feel very welcome.

Which is probably true but, well, you know....
    I'm sure you would be treated like a king.
    I traveled extensively around that region, I was always very well looked after.

The situation was very different in the late 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Its actually very beautiful in certain areas, but, of course you wouldn't know, because you haven't been.
    Unlike you, I have, always been dodgy in places, but was fine where I went, in the late eighties,.

I went over on a camel, nice Opium and Charas there, so I'm told

Yes, I've got an open invitation to visit Quetta from an old colleague of mine. He says his family will make me feel very welcome.

Which is probably true but, well, you know....

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Why would I? I'm not the one who thinks Islam is evil. I have no interest in visiting Pakistan anyway.
    Oh here we go, over-egging statements. I never said it was evil; it's a significantly flawed control mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    There needs to be something to attract me to a place and there isn't anything there; the dodgy security services and instability of the democratic institutions is also a bit off-putting.
    Its actually very beautiful in certain areas, but, of course you wouldn't know, because you haven't been.
    Unlike you, I have, always been dodgy in places, but was fine where I went, in the late eighties,.

I went over on a camel, nice Opium and Charas there, so I'm told

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    There needs to be something to attract me to a place and there isn't anything there; the dodgy security services and instability of the democratic institutions is also a bit off-putting.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Why would I? I'm not the one who thinks Islam is evil. I have no interest in visiting Pakistan anyway, there's too many Muslims there.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    One went quiet, another shrugged and agreed (as he took into his bacon sandwich).

Feel free to try the same in Islamabad and stay alive btw.
    Why would I? I'm not the one who thinks Islam is evil. I have no interest in visiting Pakistan anyway.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    So these "nice Muslims" I assume you've told them you think their religion is evil - still nice after that, are they?
    One went quiet, another shrugged and agreed (as he took into his bacon sandwich).

Feel free to try the same in Islamabad and stay alive btw.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Not at all. I know a lot of nice Muslims. You're doing it again, blaming the players instead of the game.
    So these "nice Muslims" I assume you've told them you think their religion is evil - still nice after that, are they?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Some of my best friends are English too.
    No Scots?

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Not at all. I know a lot of nice Muslims. You're doing it again, blaming the players instead of the game.
    Some of my best friends are English too.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Talk me through this one:
    The Christians held in Thailand after fleeing Pakistan - BBC News

Religion of peace don't ya know.
    Those mean Buddhists refusing to give fleeing Christians asylum from those evil Muslims

Is that better?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I assume the only acceptable response is "all Muslims are evil" - will that work for you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X