• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In or Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If you think the law is bull tulip, that's up to you, but they have had the ability to raise OR LOWER taxes for some time and have refused to do so, instead making you believe what you have just posted as true.
    Pure window dressing; a few p up or down isn't significant. You might as well defend Osborne's recent fiddling with the personal allowance.

What has been far more relevant is the independence of the NHS in Scotland, but given what's happening with welfare reform that's not enough. The whole union needs a new method of governing itself before I'd think it's worthwhile staying. As it is, it's horribly imbalanced and the "majority rule" counter only underlines that.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      Largely bullsh*t since it wouldn't allow for changing the income tax rates which are fixed by Westminster. He could have added an additional tax on people, but show me a poltician who would do that and survive review by his own party let alone the voters.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Barber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lloyd_George (multiple times)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Howe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Osborne

There are plenty.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

David Lloyd George gave Britain the welfare state, so no surprise he'd be well-regarded; the others not so much.

My point stands that given the limited range of what he could do, taking no action on income tax was the best course.

He abolished payments for prescriptions and froze council tax, both of which benefitted people quite a lot (I think a sliding scale for prescription co-pay makes more fiscal sense, but whatever). I certainly have no complaints about his performance and he had a cause he believed in - more than you can say for the empty suits in the current government.

Comment

David Lloyd George gave Britain the welfare state, so no surprise he'd be well-regarded; the others not so much.
          Which one of the few that I mentioned did not "survive review by their own party let alone the voters"?

By my reckoning, it's none.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Which one of the few that I mentioned did not "survive review by their own party let alone the voters"?

By my reckoning, it's none.
            The exit of Thatcher's guy was regarded as the bellwether for her getting the boot and Mr. Barber sounds like he was responsible for some dodgy dealings; not seeing a PM chair for Mr. Osborne in the future exactly.

On paper I suppose you're correct, but being technically correct isn't everything. In other words I respect Salmond for his decision and how he handled the parts of the Scottish economy he could influence, but outside of one, the guys you've referenced look like a bunch of clowns.

Bottom-line: lowering tax by the amount allowed wouldn't have allowed Salmond to provide the services that people expect and raising tax by the amount allowed wouldn't have been worth the price he would have had to pay at the polls, nor would it have made a meaningful improvement to the budget.
            Last edited by seanraaron; 3 February 2016, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              It means Scotland has to do what its told
              What, you mean based on the constitution that's not written down anywhere? We can't legally stop Scotland seceding and even if we could, we can't practically stop them either.

A nation being forced out (or in) of the EU against it's will is certainly grounds to leave the union.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                It means Scotland has to do what its told
                More or less what Cameron said in PMQs when asked if Scotland would be given a choice. Quite a charmer, shame he didn't show his true colours in the referendum last year...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  What, you mean based on the constitution that's not written down anywhere? We can't legally stop Scotland seceding and even if we could, we can't practically stop them either.

A nation being forced out (or in) of the EU against it's will is certainly grounds to leave the union.
                  Scottish votes in the referendum have exactly the same weight as English, Welsh and Northern Irish votes. If the UK votes to leave nobody has been forced into anything.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Scottish votes in the referendum have exactly the same weight as English, Welsh and Northern Irish votes. If the UK votes to leave nobody has been forced into anything.
                    Perhaps in the voting booth. But the result always favours one nation more than the squabbling siblings.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

On paper I suppose you're correct, but being technically correct isn't everything.

Well, that's one way of saying "I was wrong" I guess
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X