• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Lack of investment in infrastructure and education. Neither of those investments win politicians many votes and the rewards of the investments are not seen in the 4/5 year cycle of a parliament.
    Any suggestion that takes more than a few weeks to implement is going to struggle.

If the suggestion was made that everyone in the country pays £20 a month extra tax so that we had dependable power in 20 years time, very few over 40s would support it. The over 70s would say they should pay because they will not live to see the benefit. The over 40s will say they shouldn't pay because in 20 years time we'll have some new technology that means we don't need to make the investment now - instead we can put it in out pensions. They will also say that it should be the people who are working in 20 years time who have to come up with the solution and how to fund it.
    If you are over 40 but under 50 you will very likely be working in 20 years time. Plus the money can go in pensions which can then be invested in something like new power facilities. Pension money has to be invested in something.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Young Muslims Threaten Nudist Bathers

no mention in the BBC for some reason.
      Probably because its so minor that its hardly worthy of a local paper?

I'm not shocked that the Mail covered it.. Basically any news story that casts muslims in a bad light and they are all over it.. Just one of the many reasons that the daily mail is a joke of a paper.

Frankly I don't understand why there are two pages of comments on here talking about this? No reputable paper would cover something so minor.. Larger scale events happen every friday night in town centres across the UK... they dont get national attention either, do you think that this event in Germany deserves more coverage because they are immigrants?

Obviously you (OP) have some axe to grind, you either don't like Muslims and think that every negative action no matter how small should be brought to the attention of the world, or you dont like the the BBC because the coverage that they give doesn't quite fit in with your view point (Your basically looking for something to support the confirmation bias that you get from your current echo chamber of a news source).
      Last edited by Snarf; 27 July 2016, 12:11.

Comment

We already do pay far more than that

Environmental taxes - Office for National Statistics

And strangely no one has any choice or they go to jail.

Now the real problem is that the last few governments have used it as a subsidy to major energy suppliers (free insulation) If they had spent it on Nuclear & decent green generation we would be there by now.

"These taxes are designed to promote environmentally positive behaviour, reduce damaging effects on the environment and generate revenue that can potentially be used to promote further environmental protection."

and

"the primary objective of the tax is to encourage environmentally positive behaviour change"

It doesn't say the tax is to be used to invest in power generation for the future
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ok, Addition to my last comment.

Holy crap VETRAN.. Ive just looked back over two pages of your posts... Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about muslims? What happened to you in your childhood that has left you so bitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post

Holy crap VETRAN.. Ive just looked back over two pages of your posts... Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about muslims? What happened to you in your childhood that has left you so bitter?
            I think the point is that there is an enclave of people's who seem to muster under the muslim flag who seem to think they have a right to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

And if people ignore them they seem to think that violence is an acceptable response.

That is all really

Comment

Forget his childhood, he is probably commenting based on what he is seeing these days. Is that a fair answer?

Comment

Probably because its so minor that its hardly worthy of a local paper?

I'm not shocked that the Mail covered it.. Basically any news story that casts muslims in a bad light and they are all over it.. Just one of the many reasons that the daily mail is a joke of a paper.

Frankly I don't understand why there are two pages of comments on here talking about this? No reputable paper would cover something so minor.. Larger scale events happen every friday night in town centres across the UK... they dont get national attention either, do you think that this event in Germany deserves more coverage because they are immigrants?

Obviously you (OP) have some axe to grind, you either don't like Muslims and think that every negative action no matter how small should be brought to the attention of the world, or you dont like the the BBC because the coverage that they give doesn't quite fit in with your view point (Your basically looking for something to support the confirmation bias that you get from your current echo chamber of a news source).
                yeah a quality paper would never do that.

Teenagers hurl abuse at man on Manchester tram

Spate of racist attacks blamed on Brexit vote

Row over refugee shelter in Germany as nudists are told to cover up

Muppet
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  "These taxes are designed to promote environmentally positive behaviour, reduce damaging effects on the environment and generate revenue that can potentially be used to promote further environmental protection."

and

"the primary objective of the tax is to encourage environmentally positive behaviour change"

It doesn't say the tax is to be used to invest in power generation for the future

Well if they had used it to provide green energy sources then they would have killed two birds with one wind turbine...

Comment

ah attack the man with made up slurs not the facts how very intelligent.

crap sockie.

Comment

Well if they had used it to provide green energy sources then they would have killed two birds with one wind turbine...
                      Which goes back to my earlier point - no short term gain from doing that, so it won't happen
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X