• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    No point in doing that - we get foreigners in to build them and run them, while paying them over the odds to do it.

Would make more sense to have British built and British run nuclear power stations, but that won't happen because the shareholders might not make as quick a profit early on.
    Yep spot on there, it's all to do with the short term gain that's why the country is in the state that it's in lack of long term investment and vision.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

No, I just went to search where else was covering it and the only other two places were the DM and Breibart.
      I then noticed the DM's sidebar and the third story down was about some woman being abused for wearing a bikini, so that would be two stories about people being abused for wearing little to no clothes.
      so you equate face to face verbal & physical abuse in Germany with Twitter trolling in the UK. Blimey you are desperate.

Obviously both are unpleasant but being spat on is a whole lot different to some sad teenager in their bedroom complaining you have a flabby bum.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Yep spot on there, it's all to do with the short term gain that's why the country is in the state that it's in lack of long term investment and vision.
        Well maybe a female prime minister will do us the power of good?

Comment

So, we need to stop selling them weapons and stop them sending money.
          We'll stop sending them money when they stop sending us oil.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

Lack of investment in infrastructure and education. Neither of those investments win politicians many votes and the rewards of the investments are not seen in the 4/5 year cycle of a parliament.
            Any suggestion that takes more than a few weeks to implement is going to struggle.

If the suggestion was made that everyone in the country pays £20 a month extra tax so that we had dependable power in 20 years time, very few over 40s would support it. The over 70s would say they should pay because they will not live to see the benefit. The over 40s will say they shouldn't pay because in 20 years time we'll have some new technology that means we don't need to make the investment now - instead we can put it in out pensions. They will also say that it should be the people who are working in 20 years time who have to come up with the solution and how to fund it.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Well maybe a female prime minister will do us the power of good?
              I hope so vetran, I really do
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                so you equate face to face verbal & physical abuse in Germany with Twitter trolling in the UK. Blimey you are desperate.

No, the DM equates them, not me. I just checked one of the sources of your headline and noticed that it is reporting two stories where it headlines them about abuse over clothing.
                I think it is disgraceful that people should be spat at.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Lack of investment in infrastructure and education. Neither of those investments win politicians many votes and the rewards of the investments are not seen in the 4/5 year cycle of a parliament.
                  Any suggestion that takes more than a few weeks to implement is going to struggle.

If the suggestion was made that everyone in the country pays £20 a month extra tax so that we had dependable power in 20 years time, very few over 40s would support it. The over 70s would say they should pay because they will not live to see the benefit. The over 40s will say they shouldn't pay because in 20 years time we'll have some new technology that means we don't need to make the investment now - instead we can put it in out pensions. They will also say that it should be the people who are working in 20 years time who have to come up with the solution and how to fund it.
                  By which time we'd end up having blackouts and the solution will cost a lot more and will only be a short term fix theoretically oh well
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I checked the Breitbart source (Junge Freiheit) but it is blocked at work due to being a right wing site (which you can tell by the name, a rather nasty extremely right wing site), however I did find it in the local paper for the area and it goes on about them being 'sudländisch' which equates to anything from Mediterranean to Arabic countries
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

If the suggestion was made that everyone in the country pays £20 a month extra tax so that we had dependable power in 20 years time,
                      We already do pay far more than that

Environmental taxes - Office for National Statistics

And strangely no one has any choice or they go to jail.

Now the real problem is that the last few governments have used it as a subsidy to major energy suppliers (free insulation) If they had spent it on Nuclear & decent green generation we would be there by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X