• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe we can'ty be sole trader because the agencies are then liable for employers NIC, also the liability thing. Someone on here (can't remember who) worked on Deepwater horizon - and is glad they have LTD liability. Try going sole trader for any gig that isn't direct and see what happens...

So much for 'tax incentivised incorporation'
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
      Exactly - I have been running Programme Offices for some time, often I'm the first in on a large project alongside a permie Programme Manager, I set everything up, hire the staff, run things, shut it down and turn off the lights before I leave. There is no intention to keep me and sometimes these gigs run into 2/3 years.

It's the nature of the beast, not every type of contracting is IT development. I'd say there were as many project manager types as there are anything else nowadays. Hired for a project, then got rid of. Why would you want to make such people perm and put them on your books? In the financial sector Solvency II was a great example where people with project experience were brought in to put in place regulatory requirements, once complete, never to be done again.
      I'm in a very similar boat with the sorts of contracts I do, and agree it's unfair to make this about IT vs. but that is down to the articles rather than anyone on here.

I don't mind everyone here having an IT focus, it is too good a resource to object about the slightly skewed views.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        IIRC if you're a sole trader and decide not to pay any NIC then HMRC can go after whomever was your employer i.e. the agency. By having a Ltd there is an intermediary between you and the engager.
        Oh well, that rules out that idea then
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Not neceserily.

If the changes proposed come in and "PSC"'s are effectivly kllled off we might find the market attitude to sole traders changes. Especially if some way can be found to indemnify agents or clients from the percived risk of tax liabilities.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Though there might be (or could be) insurance products to cover this, perhaps?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Insurance products are no substitute for limited liability (there's no insurance product that offers unlimited liability) and there are regulatory issues beyond working through an agency (depending on the industry, direct contracts would be very difficult too). The agency route was effectively killed back in the late 1970s and persists in ITEPA 2003 (s44-s47), i.e. there is no mechanism whereby agencies can pay sole traders gross. This isn't about agencies deciding they can't be bothered to deal with sole traders.

There's some useful history here:

Do contractors need limited companies? :: Contractor UK

Comment

Might be starting to get some wider coverage

IT contractors raise alarm over HMRC mulling 'one-month' nudge onto payrolls
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It does go up. Take this incredibly simply example, Contractor earns £100k.
                  If we look at the portion above £40k only, and just the Income and Corporation Tax viewpoints.

The contractor personally will pay £60k @ 40% income tax = £24k gain to HMT
                  The contractors PSC will pay less Corporation Tax @ 20% = £12k loss to HMT
                  Both Agent Co.’s Turnover AND costs will increase by £60k, net nil = no change to HMT
                  Net gain to HMT = £12k

But that’s just the two taxes perspective, there’s a storm of other variables that get pulled into the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
                    It does go up. Take this incredibly simply example, Contractor earns £100k.
                    If we look at the portion above £40k only, and just the Income and Corporation Tax viewpoints.

The contractor personally will pay £60k @ 40% income tax = £24k gain to HMT
                    The contractors PSC will pay less Corporation Tax @ 20% = £12k loss to HMT
                    Both Agent Co.’s Turnover AND costs will increase by £60k, net nil = no change to HMT
                    Net gain to HMT = £12k

But that’s just the two taxes perspective, there’s a storm of other variables that get pulled into the mix.
                    Thats on the assumption rates stay the same. If we're on FTC instead then the likely hood is we'd be on a lot less than the £100K. Your calculations are way off also as someone on £100K doesn't pay 40% on all income they pay 40% on everyting over the 40% threshold.

Comment

Yes, rates staying the same assumed. I know there's the threshold, that's why I took the £60k above £40k

Comment

Working...
                      X