• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's on your wrist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    These are totally different types of watches, the colour should not be that important. How about reading up on the technical construction of each watch.
    I'm well aware of this and he's picked two watches with very little to chose in that department. Both exceptional quality watches, one maybe with a more recognisable brand name to non watch people but apart from that either is a perfect choice in the technical department.. And so that's ticked off you go to the next decision point which to me is the one that I can stare at for hours and hours a day so colour should be very important.

Bearing in mind he has also stated it's for occasional wear then again looks will be something of a factor in this decision.

I see what you are saying but I think you've gone too far the other way.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      I think that you might regret the Nato strap. Cloth and skin oil is not a happy combination. Nice watch though.
      Also, I'm not convinced that the black ceramic will be as scratch resistant as one might hope.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Get a Marloe, I've got the original Cherwell and for the price is a very nice mechanical watch that looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Remove the label on the back that says "Made in Guangzhou".
          god made Adam & Eve, everything else made in China...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I think that you might regret the Nato strap. Cloth and skin oil is not a happy combination. Nice watch though.

I tend toward steel bracelets (Tag F1 Series 1 circa 1990'ish, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Gen 1) for everyday and leather strap (Breitling TopTime Panda circa 1967) for dress wear.

Happy shopping.

Not into posh watches. Having a watch worth more than many people's cars seems a bit like bragging.

Agree with that you suffer a combination of chafing and your wrist / watch smelling a little gamey.

With my Vivofit you can just clean or replace the rubber strap. The Rotary etc. straps get an ultrasonic bath.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              ...Having a watch worth more than many people's cars seems a bit like bragging.
              It is.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                “Big” birthday next and I’ve come to the sad decision that my vintage omega is no longer reliable enough to wear, I don’t wear a watch everyday so it’s only an occasion wear.

Toying with keeping with Omega or moving to a Breitling, not a fan of steel bands so am toying between these two.

Si

I have a SuperOcean Heritage, which came with a leather Deployant. I changed it to a rubber strap. They wear "very thich and big" and I find it uncomfortable to wear as a daily wearer. It certainly isn't a "beater". The Crown tube threads are quite fragile. It dresses well with the mesh strap.

The Omega with the automatic movement is much nicer to wear every day as a "beater".

Personally my daily beater is a Steinhart Ocean One Black. It is slightly larger than a Submariner, and doesn't have a cyclops.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Not into posh watches. Having a watch worth more than many people's cars seems a bit like bragging.

Agree with that you suffer a combination of chafing and your wrist / watch smelling a little gamey.

With my Vivofit you can just clean or replace the rubber strap. The Rotary etc. straps get an ultrasonic bath.
                  Bangernomics has so many applications in life.

Comment

It is.
                    Although why anyone would want to brag that they're a dickhead is a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Although why anyone would want to brag that they're a dickhead is a mystery.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Working...
                      X