• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If KentPhilip is banned for advocating rape...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well yes I would say some things are absolutes. Murder, rape, etc being the obvious ones. People don't say "well, when you look at both sides, rape is a negative thing" they say "rape is inherently wrong". It's a visceral gut reaction which is typically described as "conscience".

Your argument that individual rights are even important sounds a bit like moral absolutism to me too

It's not moral absolutism - it's just that morality is rooted, by definition, in individual rights. All rights stem from an individual's right to live free from the coercion of other men. Anything else is not a right - just an entitlement, meted out using force in violation of another person's rights.

Of course you can't get an ought from an is, and so you don't have to value morality. But if you do then you must recognise what morality actually is. Where it comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      morality is rooted, by definition, in individual rights
      That's a very bold claim I'd like to see substantiated.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Sorry about the F* idiot bit. I'd been filling in my f* CT600 all morning. That would certainly be a factor to be considered in any court of law.
        No jury would ever convict.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          If she asked me to whip her bum till she screeched then bone her, well that's illegal (GBH) but I would find it difficult to disappoint her
          Oh, I am sure I could easily enough - I am an expert on disappointing women.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            Oh, I am sure I could easily enough - I am an expert on disappointing women.
            It's all about the management of expectations. It's not whether I am going to disappoint but more how badly and how often.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              That's a very bold claim I'd like to see substantiated.
              Morality is all about action, right? In a world where it was impossible to act, then no one could do anything immoral. In a world where all actions were indistinguishable, then there could be no scope for immorality.

So with that being the case, a person must - in order to have moral agency - be free to act of their own volition.

Therefore individual freedom is prerequisite for all further moral narratives.

Comment

Received from KP:-

A message from the 'ghost' of KentPhilip here. Sorry I had to die on you (get banned) so suddenly. While I don't agree that my final post was in any way advocating rape (and I think other forum members who know what I said will agree), I respect the decision of the moderators. It is their site, not mine, and have an absolute right to decide what content goes onto it or not.

In any case after 8 years I think it is time to "retire" Kentphilip. It was a stupid name to begin with, and I don't know why I chose it - it's completely meaningless! But I'd like to thank all of you for your company over the years - there have been several posts that have genuinely cheered me up and got me out of a fix, so I'm grateful for that.

The Contractoruk.com forum continues to be a wonderful site as a place of banter, current affairs discussion, and a "safe space" for discussion of problems we all have as contractors. Long may it live.

Will I be back in some form in the future? I'm not going to admit that here!

Adios!
                Last edited by xoggoth; 12 December 2014, 20:02. Reason: Missed the last line
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Received from KP:-

A message from the 'ghost' of KentPhilip here. Sorry I had to die on you (get banned) so suddenly. While I don't agree that my final post was in any way advocating rape (and I think other forum members who know what I said will agree), I respect the decision of the moderators. It is their site, not mine, and have an absolute right to decide what content goes onto it or not.

In any case after 8 years I think it is time to "retire" Kentphilip. It was a stupid name to begin with, and I don't know why I chose it - it's completely meaningless! But I'd like to thank all of you for your company over the years - there have been several posts that have genuinely cheered me up and got me out of a fix, so I'm grateful for that.

The Contractoruk.com forum continues to be a wonderful site as a place of banter, current affairs discussion, and a "safe space" for discussion of problems we all have as contractors. Long may it live.
                  Please pass on my thanks to him. I think a tempban would have been more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Please pass on my thanks to him. I think a tempban would have been more appropriate.
                    I would agree. Straight to permabans recently have been a joke and very tedious. It's like NAT and Cojak have become the Torquemada and Mary Whitehouse of the moderation world.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

We need a mass CUK face-sitting protest against excessive moderator prurience.

What did a mass face-sitting outside Parliament look like? - UK - News - The Independent

PS How do you line them up? Spaces don't work.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X