• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Q1: Is Scotland part of the EU now?
    A1: Yes

Q2: Is Scotland voting to leave the EU or UK?
    Q2: UK

Conclusion: Scotland is is still in the EU after a Yes vote.
    Usually a few mins activating your brain can cut through the fear and scaremongering.
    This is total nonsense.

The EU have stated that only a rule change would allow Scotland to remain in. This rule change, described in Article 48, requires unanimity (a word here which means all voting yes) to enact. Spain, and others, have said they will not support an Article 48 change.

Which leaves Article 49 - this covers the case of a country leaving from a member state and reapplying. This would be supported by Spain.

Comment

Scotland will not be part of the EU following seperation. Not sure why Unix thinks otherwise. We will have to join as Scotland rather than as UK.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
        Unless the rules are changed using Article 48, then yes we leave.
        We then re-enter using Article 49.

Whatever happens we lose the rebate.
        There is no precedent to a Yes vote so new law will have to be introduced. Given Scotland's resources only a complete moron would think EU wold do anything other than let Scotland in on the same terms as the UK.

Comment

Q1: Is Scotland part of the EU now?
          A1: Yes

Q2: Is Scotland voting to leave the EU or UK?
          Q2: UK

Conclusion: Scotland is is still in the EU after a Yes vote.
          Usually a few mins activating your brain can cut through the fear and scaremongering.
          If there's a Yes vote I'm going to start quoting all your made-up posts when things start to go horribly wrong.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Why would an independent Scotland immediately want to surrender part of their independence to the EU anyway? Not ready to go it alone?

Surely it would make sense to get some practice being independent first.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
              Scotland will not be part of the EU following seperation. Not sure why Unix thinks otherwise. We will have to join as Scotland rather than as UK.
              I was hoping Unix would be realistically, too much hope there but I'm glad to see there are people that actually know the truth and can see through the all the tulip
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

There is no precedent to a Yes vote so new law will have to be introduced. Given Scotland's resources only a complete moron would think EU wold do anything other than let Scotland in on the same terms as the UK.
                One minute you're saying it'll just happen and the next we need a new Law.

The Article 48 and 49 issue is pretty simple really. Scotland will have to renegotiate at some point, it will not get the rebate. The last thing the EU wants is another basket case economy which for a while we may well be.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTime View Post
                  Cuckoo-cuckoo.
                  See my comment earlier

English people: "But don't you understand how bad independence will be for you?" Scottish people: "Irn Bru"
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Yeah I agree, I see the Eurozone as one big country in general even though it is indeed made up of lots of different countries integration is the main aim. Why leave one union to join another that presently you're already part of? But hey if it makes them happy
                    We wouldn't be giving all of our income to the EU and getting pocket money back. We would be an independent country in Europe which is different to being ruled from Westminster.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      We wouldn't be giving all of our income to the EU and getting pocket money back. We would be an independent country in Europe which is different to being ruled from Westminster.
                      You really don't understand representative democracy do you?

Comment

Working...
                      X