• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Why do you keep making things up?
    Because he wants to make the facts fit his personal opinion/agenda.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Particularly when you point out to the Americans that under certain circumstances, you might be willing to throw all 125 of the New Scottish Defence Force into the fray.
      And possibly equip them ALL with rolled-up copies of the Big Issue.

Add in a couple of Sopwith Camels and the revamped Vital Spark and it will really have ISIS bricking themselves.

Fair enough.

I saw Tommy Sheridan being interviewed by Andrew Neil on YouTube last night. can't link it here so google it. I agree with him that I think it will be around 60/40 in favour of Yes. Even one of the top people at ICM says this could be their Waterloo if the result shows the polls have been consistently wrong.

The First Minister will be in all the papers tomorrow with an open letter that should make up the 'don't knows' minds to vote Yes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        If Scotland offer to accept it and rUK refuse because they don't want a CU then it's not going to be viewed as a default.
        Not by YOU anyway. Sadly, however, your opinion doesn't count for very much.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Why do you keep making things up? Do you have high-up sources in the ratings agencies?
          It's my opinion, i'm not saying I know this 100% to be a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            This is how it works, TM.

The guy has a position. He is working for the Scottish government so on the Yes side. Yet even he admits the weaknesses of the Scottish government position of reneging on the debt. So when someone admits a weakness in their position, you tend to believe them. What's in it for them to make up a weakness?

I think a CU is bad for EWNI and iScotland, because it leaves Scotland hampered by London fiscal policies. That doesn't suit either side.

There' no elegant answer to this. Just pain.

Comment

offt.

That Spanish announcement is brutal.

Spanish warn independent Scotland would get euro not pound - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                Can you point out where I mentioned a free ride on everything?

I said we held a strategic position and therefore would be attractive as a NATO member even without WMDs on the Clyde.
                Most of your posts assume that Scotland will do what it wants, get what it wants, get full control the oil and not have to pay for anything.

In short you do not view the Union as providing any benefits but paradoxically you expect to keep all those benefits should Scotland become independent.

Comment

So to be in NATO you require nuclear weapons? Can you do a wee bit of research and see if all NATO countries have nukes? I'll wait here, don't worry it should be easy, even for you.
                  I know that there are NATO members that ban nuclear weapons on their territory, and (though they will turn a blind eye) don't want nuclear armed vessels in their ports. All I'm saying is the position of the SNP is skirting around a guaranteed expulsion of weapons, and that IMO they will have to back down on that somewhat to be allowed back inside NATO again.

Iceland and Lithuania are the only two countries that completely refuse the nuclear obligations of the 'nuclear alliance' that is NATO. Lithuania is in a horrible complex position between ex-soviet states and is surrounded by Russia to the east and west, and apart from Iceland being volcano central, does it even have an army?

Comment

If Scotland offer to accept it and rUK refuse because they don't want a CU then it's not going to be viewed as a default.
                    Well, EWNI will accept the offer. But not if it is conditional on accepting a CU, which is unrelated to the division of assets and debts.

And if iScotland follow through on their threat and don't take the debt, what will the credit rating agencies do?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      How can Scotland take the Euro if we're kicked out of the EU like the No side say will happen? You have to be a member of the IMF for two years before you can join the EURO too.

The currency will be Sterling.
                      Now. Article 49 says Scotland will leave and then reapply. To enter into the EU, you need to have the Euro as your currency.

I agree that the currency will be Sterling, but not in a CU. How we manage negotiating into the EU with that is up in the air.

Bear in mind that HMG is supportive of an article 48 entry - its other EU members saying 49.

Comment

Working...
                      X